Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jeffhadley
Frequent Visitor

Enterprise Gateway - Cannot connect to the mashup data source

I have a data set that utilizes the Snowflake connector, as well as a connector to a file list in SharePoint.  In the past few weeks, I've begun receiving the following error when attempting to refresh the dataset in the Power BI service:

Capture.PNG

I am able to successfully refresh all queries from PBI Desktop, it just is an issue once I've published the dataset to the PBI Service.  My IT friends have upgraded the Gateway to the most recent version (earlier this week), but that hasn't solved the issue.  I have many other datasets that utilize Snowflake, SQL, and SharePoint and they are all experiencing the same issue.  In each, the table identified in the error message is a Snowflake-sourced table.

Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jeffhadley
Frequent Visitor

I figured out the issue. While PBI Desktop can navigate Snowflake's different schemas correctly, apparently the PBI Gateway cannot. Once I changed the data sources to all be from the same schema, the gateway was able to refresh without issue. I'm not sure why we utilized different schemas in the first place, but I'll keep this in mind down the road.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jeffhadley
Frequent Visitor

I figured out the issue. While PBI Desktop can navigate Snowflake's different schemas correctly, apparently the PBI Gateway cannot. Once I changed the data sources to all be from the same schema, the gateway was able to refresh without issue. I'm not sure why we utilized different schemas in the first place, but I'll keep this in mind down the road.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What did you do to "changed the data sources to all be from the same schema"?

Can you give little detail how you did that.  Do you mean that you consolidated data coming from different sources to once single source?  SQL database, excel spreadsheet, etc in to one?

Hi Brian,

In snowflake, views are setup in different 'schemas'.  So we have some views setup in a PBI schema and others that house similar information setup as ETL schemas (there's also a PSA schema).  I'm VERY new to using Snowflake and probably haven't done as much homework as I should to understand it all.  One of my reports utilized a data source that was a PBI view (employee attributes) and another source was using an ETL view (location attributes).  Since I also had a PBI view that provided the location attributes I needed, I changed my data source to pull from the PBI view instead of the ETL view, which solved my mashup issue.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thaks for posting the details.  What I do to getaround mashup data is:

When you bring in the tables from different data sources, I make a reference table of each original table. Then I run queries against the reference table and leave the original alone.  This work for me.

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jeffhadley,

Please delete the dataset in Power BI service and publish the report, after that, try to refresh the dataset in power BI service again.

Reagrds,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @v-frfei-msft

I deleted the dataset and then republished it.  I still get the same mashup error when I attempt to refresh the dataset.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue. Ther report refresh without any probmles on my desktop, however, one I pulish it to the PBI service the detaset will not refresh.

Unable to refresh dataset :  my report is not refreshing. My dataset uses data gateway, data source credential has admin access, Gateway is ON and schedule refresh is also on. I am still working on this issue to find a solution, and in the mean time I would really appreciate  of my usergroup input, suggestions, workaround etc.

here is the error msg:
Last refresh failed: Fri Nov 30 2018 10:16:15 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Cannot connect to the mashup data source. See error details for more information.Hide details
Underlying error code: -2147467259 Table: Invoice Totals by Cust and Product.
Underlying error message: MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind: MySql
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath: 00.00.00.000;xxyyss
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.ErrorCode: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Message: Fatal error encountered during data read.
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason: DataSource.Error

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors