Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

roxmasters20
Frequent Visitor

Enterprise Data Gateway & Excel file

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to Power BI and the little I know is from a series of trial and error using information I picked up on the net.

I have managed to create and publish a report and would like to setup automatic refresh.

The report was created using a combination of Excel files stored on my machine as well as data pulled from an SQL server connection.

IT has setup an Enterprise Gateway on my Power BI account that I am now trying to configure. I am able to use the SQL credentials to setup the data source for the SQL database but I am not sure how to setup the data source for the excel file; it asked for a windows username & password. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@roxmasters20 

Since the excel files are stored in your machine, you have to provide windows credentials in the gateway settings. Make sure that excel files are accessible from the gateway server. 

But storing the data source in a local machine is not a recommended approach. I would recommend you to keep the files in some other location. Example SharePoint folder, the same sever where gateway or SQL server installed. etc.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

View solution in original post

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @roxmasters20 ,

For the on premise data source excel files, you need to offer the window credential which is just the account and password to sign in your computer, like domain\username. For example, your organizational email account is username@abc.com,  then you may type abc\username and password in Data Source Settings.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @roxmasters20 ,

For the on premise data source excel files, you need to offer the window credential which is just the account and password to sign in your computer, like domain\username. For example, your organizational email account is username@abc.com,  then you may type abc\username and password in Data Source Settings.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@roxmasters20 

Since the excel files are stored in your machine, you have to provide windows credentials in the gateway settings. Make sure that excel files are accessible from the gateway server. 

But storing the data source in a local machine is not a recommended approach. I would recommend you to keep the files in some other location. Example SharePoint folder, the same sever where gateway or SQL server installed. etc.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors