Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EduSurveys
Advocate II
Advocate II

End-user control to hide columns in a table?

Hi all,

I had an end-user ask me if there is a way for the user to control what columns they see in a table visual of a report.

The user has read-only access to the table and not access to the underlying dataset.

For example, I have a table visual in the standard report with the following columns:

• Year
  • Course
  • Assignment Name
  • Grader comment
  • Student name
  • Rating

In the service, he would like to be able to use a slicer or buttons to select which columns to view in the table. For example, he only wants to see the below columns and hide the other columns in the visual:

• Course
  • Student name
  • Rating

Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EduSurveys,

AFAIK, current you can only control table rows. (RLS)  For table structure(fields and types), it is impossible to dynamic changes based on end-user control.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EduSurveys,

AFAIK, current you can only control table rows. (RLS)  For table structure(fields and types), it is impossible to dynamic changes based on end-user control.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could create buttons for him that tie to bookmarks perhaps.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler and @v-shex-msft, for your suggestions. I thought about using buttons, and I think it would be simpler if I didn't already have a million buttons on my page. I am still learning about bookmarks and working with visibility in the selection pane, and I think it would be painstaking to make a button for each column. 

I ended up telling him to use the focus mode so that he could see the whole table in full screen, because he was not happy about having the slicers cluttering up his ability to see the full table. 

I'm okay with knowing that there currently isn't any end-user functionality for this purpose, and will try to be a more efficient designer of buttons and slicers to maximize real-estate on the page.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors