Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

End Users unable to view R Visuals

Hi Experts

I am currently using Power Bi Premium and my end users are on standard power BI licence to view outputs (dashboards and reports) in power bi service. most if not all cannot view any of the R Scripted visuals when they log onto Power BI service. Do i need to purchase additional licences to accomdate (i.e. Power Bi Pro) or do i need to change certain settings with PBI Service. 

i am using office 365.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

By my tests based on your scenario, the free user could see the R visual in report/dashboard which is assigned in Power BI Premium capacity. So you don't need to purchase additional licences.

most if not all cannot view any of the R Scripted visuals when they log onto Power BI service.

I have a little confused about your probelm. Did any free user could see the R visual or none of them could see it?

Do you publish the R visual report via an app in Power BI Service and the the free end user see it with the app?

Please let me know more details so that we could help further on it.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

By my tests based on your scenario, the free user could see the R visual in report/dashboard which is assigned in Power BI Premium capacity. So you don't need to purchase additional licences.

most if not all cannot view any of the R Scripted visuals when they log onto Power BI service.

I have a little confused about your probelm. Did any free user could see the R visual or none of them could see it?

Do you publish the R visual report via an app in Power BI Service and the the free end user see it with the app?

Please let me know more details so that we could help further on it.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry

firstly  thanks for the feedback....here is my answer which is the same as you're

All, I think I have tracked the problem down. If you look at the table below from Microsoft you will see why one workspace will ask you to upgrade and another will allow you to view your work.

Adrian can access PMPA - Post Market Surveillance because it is shared with a Premium Capacity. Although Premium is a service designed for intranet usage where pricing is by core and not users, the licencing can also now be applied also to the cloud.

For Premium workspaces you will see that diamond shape next to the workspace name.

If the project is published in the traditional way using Shared Capacity then both the publisher and the consumer require a Power BI Pro Licence.

Premium originally came out so that companies could also host Power BI on their own intranet. Initial concept was:

Cloud Service – everyone needs a Pro Licence at approx. £10 per month to publish and view reports in the internet cloud.

Premium Service – host it on your intranet. Pay approx three grand per core and the only Pro Licences needed were the ones for the publisher (much cheaper option if you have more than 300 users).

Companies used to look at it this way. 300 users at £10 per month is £3000 so roughly the same price as one core on the intranet. If however you more than 300 users then it can make more sense to host on the intranet and just use one core.

New to me is that Microsoft seem to have moved the Premium licencing capability so that it can also be used in the cloud.

The fix should be to turn on Premium Capacity if that licencing issues happens to anyone.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors