Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enable Map Visual

Hello, 

Can you please help how to enable Map Visualization in Power BI web? I checked admin portal and I don't have option to enable it. 

Map Visual Error MessageMap Visual Error Message

MessageMessageAdmin Portal OptionAdmin Portal Option

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Ypu do not have admin rights, thats why you are unable to see the settings. Please request your Power BI admin to enable the below property.

Tenant Settings -> Integration settings -> Map and filled map visuals property.

rajendran_0-1636754506050.png

Thanks
Raj

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Rajesh9182

open Fileoption->open settings->open security->then enable filled map option and enable use sign experience.
then close and open the powerbi file you will get the map visuals.enabling use sign in experience option  is important.

smusa2022
Regular Visitor

I am using Power BI Desktop and My maps were displaying ok but when i tried to load a previous report it states to enable map and filled map visuals in the admin portal. I have gone to options-settings -security and checked Map and filled visual box but still i can't view any of my map visuals

signout from powerbi desktop and sign back in

Thanks!

ee8vz0x

I originally started with a bi free subscription before getting the pro. I can't remove the free subscription. Could this have some impact on this? I'm dying here because my maps have gone away. This is infuriating! LOL happy friday.

ee8vz0x

I have a 5 tenant license and I can access the admin page but there is no link to tenant. None of the other 4 users has that access either. 

What gives?

DonS

Hello.

Sorry but this is not solved.

I have tried the suggested solution and as a single powerbi pro user, the options you point to does not exist. When I go to the suggest page, this is all I see

DonS_0-1647831765632.png

I have drilled into every link on every page and the options you have suggested simply do not exist.

I cannot contact my admin because as a sole user, I am admin.

Am not sure where to go from here. Is this a bug or does the map simply not work for single pro users?

Thank you.

babs30
Regular Visitor

You have to make your account the admin on office 365 which will reflect in your PBI account. The only way you can do this is- click on the 9 little dots behind the "POWER BI" on the home page of your PBI, its on the far-left-top corner, office 365 will pop out with apps click on admin then follow the prompts from there, this will lead to making you the admin. When done logout on your PBI account and log in again, you should be able to see Tenants Settings in the admin Portal, when there go to Map and Filld Map to enable. You should be able to view the maps after all these.

COMtrac
Advocate I
Advocate I

Sean did you work this out.  The default advice is "you are not admin" but I am a single Pro user so I have no admin and canot see where to chnage this setting.

Same situation here. The full answer would have been:

Go to https://app.powerbi.com/admin-portal/tenantSettings

If you are the admin, you will see Tenant Settings -> Integration settings -> Map and filled map visuals property.

I created an account simply to say thank you... you are a hero.

Bravo! This worked, thanks a lot

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the answer if the link will bring up the Power BI Admin portal for you.  I struggled trying to find the Admin page which is not easily reached and only got there by using this link.  

PaulinRoc
Frequent Visitor

Hi Bob,

I have exactly the same problem as you, did you succeed now? 

I am a single user on a pro licence.  The advice of contact your power BI admin is not much use as I assume I am Power BI admin.  Where do I chnage this settings?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Ypu do not have admin rights, thats why you are unable to see the settings. Please request your Power BI admin to enable the below property.

Tenant Settings -> Integration settings -> Map and filled map visuals property.

rajendran_0-1636754506050.png

Thanks
Raj

I have a Power BI Pro license.

All you need to do is sign in to Power BI online. 

Go to Settings

Select Item Settings

Enable Use ArcGIS Maps for Power BI

ArcGIS Maps Power BI Settings.PNG

Tel me please, how to enable maps in free version of power bi service? Is it possible for free or only in payed version?

@Anonymous , I am using the trail version. At whom I have to contact to enable to settings? And also sometimes map is showing. Whenever I close and reopen the report, the map is getting disabled.

For those that are a "single user" (i.e., effectively, should be your own Power BI admin) , you need to open your Azure Portal and assign the Power BI admin role to a user account that will access the Power BI Admin Portal.

This is what worked for me:

• Go to your Azure Portal
  • Open Azure Active Directory resource
  • Select "Users", then select a user, which should upon the user's profile page
  • Select Assigned Roles on the left
  • Select Add Assignments, then find and add the Power BI admin role from the list that appears
  • Finally, logout and back into the Power BI admin portal with the assigned user account, and you should now see all settings under Tenant settings

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors