Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rick4him
Helper I
Helper I

Emedded Report User Owns Data Row Level Security Fails

Using User Owns Data, row level security fails.  The message comes up "Checking Permissions" Hold on this will just take a minute or two" and then the message "This content isn't availble, Learn more about Power BI." is displayed.  If the user opens the shared report in app.powerbi.com the correct data (filtered by RLS) is displayed.  The environment here is Free PBI User with the report/dataset in a workspace under the premium capacity.  Other reports in this same workspace work fine for the user, just not the RLS reports.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Rick4him
Helper I
Helper I

Update:  While there are some current issues with "Free" users using Power BI Capacity, I got the RLS to work for a "Free" user by creating a new report in the Workspace under the Premium Capacity with a different name.  It appears that what you see on the desktop service for "Free" users is not truly what is available when you use the REST API.  When using the "user owns data" sample, it is best that you get all reports available in a combo box instead of just the 1st one. This helped me realize that the issue was a corrupted report that stayed on the user account (and has for the past few days).  The report was trash canned from the user's app.powerbi.com dashboard however you can still access the report through the REST API.  The report is corrupted, even if you delete the report from the Workspace and/or update the workspace, the "Free" user still has a working copy.   To further prove issues with "Free users".  Give a "Free" user access to an APP (from a workspace under PBI premium).  The user's desktop will give a message access not allowed, requires "Power BI Pro" license. However if you use the REST API you will see they have access to all the reports in the APP.  It gets better, if the user trash cans the APP and even if you unpublish the APP, the "Free" user still has access to the reports.  As I started this with, "there are some current issues with the "Free" users using Power BI Capacity, even though to a degree it works.  Send me a message if you would like more information.  Rick 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rick4him
Helper I
Helper I

Update:  While there are some current issues with "Free" users using Power BI Capacity, I got the RLS to work for a "Free" user by creating a new report in the Workspace under the Premium Capacity with a different name.  It appears that what you see on the desktop service for "Free" users is not truly what is available when you use the REST API.  When using the "user owns data" sample, it is best that you get all reports available in a combo box instead of just the 1st one. This helped me realize that the issue was a corrupted report that stayed on the user account (and has for the past few days).  The report was trash canned from the user's app.powerbi.com dashboard however you can still access the report through the REST API.  The report is corrupted, even if you delete the report from the Workspace and/or update the workspace, the "Free" user still has a working copy.   To further prove issues with "Free users".  Give a "Free" user access to an APP (from a workspace under PBI premium).  The user's desktop will give a message access not allowed, requires "Power BI Pro" license. However if you use the REST API you will see they have access to all the reports in the APP.  It gets better, if the user trash cans the APP and even if you unpublish the APP, the "Free" user still has access to the reports.  As I started this with, "there are some current issues with the "Free" users using Power BI Capacity, even though to a degree it works.  Send me a message if you would like more information.  Rick 

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Rick4him,

According to this article, if you are embedding to Power BI users (user owns data), within your organization, RLS works the same as it does within the Power BI service directly. There is nothing more you need to do in your application.

So it seems to me that this may be an issue on Power BI service that row level security won't work for free user(within premium capacity). 

In this scenario, I would suggest you create a support ticket on Power BI Support page to report this issue and for better assistance. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors