Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Embedding to a website

Hello. I am trying to embed two dashboard reports on my website. I have PowerBi Government and the data is publicly available.

When I get the embed link for website and add it to my website, it requires users to sign in to view it on my webpage.

I am trying to allow anyone to view this dashboard as it's government information - even regular people who don't know what PowerBi is. They are not trying to edit it or do any manipulation. Through looking through help sites, it appears that I will need PowerBi Premium to post it on my website and let anyone look at it - is that true? I would be unable to purchase Premium, as I am the only one in my organization using PowerBi in this way, so a 5,000/month subscription cannot be justified. Is there a workaround? We have software developers on staff.

Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  @Anonymous ,

I'm guessing you're using "Embeded " not "Publish to web",pls follow the right steps as below:

Go to Service>open a report>go to the top left corner>"file">"publish to web":(pls note: select "publish to web" not "embeded")

Annotation 2020-06-09 094653.png

Then take steps as follows:

STEP 1STEP 1STEP 2STEP 2

Step 3Step 3

Finally you will get an embeded code,this code is public which doesnt require users to login in.Just share the link with the users.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

hi @Anonymous ,

Have you tried to publish it  from online before embedding it?

2020_06_08_15_05_07_test_aa_Power_BI.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mussaenda Yes, that's what I have been doing. It requires users to sign into PowerBi accounts to view the reports. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have you considered the "publish to web"  alternative? or is embedding an absolute requirement?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is "published to the web" in that I took it from my Desktop version and shared publish to web and it's now in my workspace. Is that what you mean? I am trying to share with an audience on my website. I must be confused. Thank you for your help.

Hi  @Anonymous ,

The "publish" in desktop means publishing the .pbix file to Service,not to Web,as for "publish to web",it is a sharing option in Service.

Here is the link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-kelly-msft Hello, yes, I understand that. I think the direction of this forum got confused with the above user's post.

I am embedding using the link in the online PowerBi service which I come across after publishing from the desktop version to the online service. However, when users on my website try to view the dashboard reports, they must sign in. 

Hi  @Anonymous ,

I'm guessing you're using "Embeded " not "Publish to web",pls follow the right steps as below:

Go to Service>open a report>go to the top left corner>"file">"publish to web":(pls note: select "publish to web" not "embeded")

Annotation 2020-06-09 094653.png

Then take steps as follows:

STEP 1STEP 1STEP 2STEP 2

Step 3Step 3

Finally you will get an embeded code,this code is public which doesnt require users to login in.Just share the link with the users.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Yes, never mind. Looks like they have removed the "Publish to Web"  option from Power BI Desktop. I don't use that option so I didn't notice the removal.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors