Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tjowen
Regular Visitor

Embedding reports publicly and privately.

I have a use-case-scenario for Power BI that seems straightforward, but I cannot find any solution online, so I thought I’d reach out to the community…

I have two places where I would like to use Power BI.

Firstly, I would like anybody to be able to visit the public part of our website and have a look at a report that I have created.  The report that I have created aggregates our data but excludes the last 6 months of data.  I know that I can share a report online easily by embedding the report in a public part of our site using “Publish to web” – but can anyone let me know if it is only the aggregated data as presented in the report that is available to the public, or would they also be able to download the underlying data too?

Secondly, for those who are our customers, we have a secure part of our website that they can access.  I would like to make a report available within that secure part of the site.  This report will not have the limitation where the last 6 months of data is hidden, and users may download the underlying data.  However, as far as I understand if I use “Publish to web” to share the report online and embed it in this private part of the site, anyone can potentially still find that report and see it.  Of course, that’s a problem.  So, I was looking at using the simple embed option (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-secure) where I could embed the report securely.  BUT this means that anyone who wants to use the report needs to sign-in to Power BI and, of course, I cannot tell whether our customers are Power BI consumers already and, even if they were, it’s also a poor experience to force them to sign-into Power BI when they have already logged into our site.  So – can anyone let me know how to embed a report within a page of my choosing, but without making the report public and without forcing users to sign-in to Power BI to view the report?

Many thanks!

Tom

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @tjowen ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tjowen ,

For your first question, you can refer to the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web#limitations .When you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. This requires no authentication and includes viewing detail level data your reports aggregate. 

For your second question, in the Power BI service, you can share embedded reports with users requiring access. If you're using an Office 365 Group, you can list the user as an app workspace member. For more information, see how to manage your app workspace in Power BI and Office 365.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors