Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carlbh
Helper I
Helper I

Embedding images in PowerBI

I have created a Management report that is 80% based on data from Excel files stored in sarepoint. Up to this point everything is fine. However I now need to be able to insert images taken from suppliers PDF reports so they can be viewed alongside our own internal data. These images would change each month and I need to show the new one each month in the report on PBI service.

The images would need to be stored on an internal server or an authenticated company sharepoint site, not public internet.

Whilst I can simply insert an image each month in PBIX file and then republish I am looking for something a little smarter. I want to be able to have the image refresh if a new image is saved with  he same file name.  e.g. When the supplier report comes out next month, I want to be able to save the image on sharepoint/server with the same name and have the PBI report in the Service recognise the file has changed and show the new image.  Thus avoiding the issue of someone else having to access the PBIX and publish if I am on leave etc, where there would be an issue with authentication.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @carlbh

You can embed an image URL and it will display the image in supported visualizations (e.g. a Table will show the image, a Card only shows the URL, I think.) You can either host the images on an external web server (no authentication issues and you do not expose your power bi report to the web) or you can put the images in a OneDrive folder. In either case, you just need to open the image in your browser, right click on it, and get the image URL.

There are also some specifically tasked image visualizations in the custom visualizations store.

Good luck! Scott

Many thanks. Unfortunately this has a few issues for me.

1: The images I need to post are of a suppliers performance report copied from PDF, so I cant post them on a public site. 

2: We are still in the middle of rolling out W10 here so as yet dont have OneDrive access. But not sure this could be used anyway due to 3 below.

3: Our policy for shared storage, (which I would need for this so colleagues can modify the image and run the reports in my absence) is to use O365 Sharepoint for any shared access. 

I have tried a couple of the visualisations in the store, but they all appear to rely on public web storage.

Using image URL's in tables etc appears to only work for public stored images.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors