Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mparowski
Advocate I
Advocate I

Embedding a report in SharePoint - making it accessible to entire organization

I am trying to take advantage of SharePoint's ability to embed a Power BI Report into a SharePoint Modern Page. I am encountering issues with permissions and access. My primary goal is to make an embedded report visible to my entire organization, but I am hitting challenges with permissions. It appears that the only thing that makes a report visible to anyone in Sharepoint is membership in the Workspace. I have shared the report widely via powerbi.com, and my testers are able to see the report if I send them a direct powerbi.com link, but the same report embedded in SharePoint is not visible to them.

We have Power BI Premium, so licenses associated with viewing are not an issue.

The audience I need to share with is more than a thousand users, and the only way I can add users to the workspace is one at a time, plus it is then a static list of users that would require manual updating. Is there any way to make an embedded report visible within the organization without manually adding a thousand staff to the workspace? Given that staff are able to view the Report through powerbi.com directly suggests that this is a bug with the SharePoint embedding tool.

Please advise!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tested just now with an "App-published" report, and a user who is not part of the workspace membership *is* able to see the SharePoint-embedded report as well as the report on app.powerbi.com.  Admittedly, this is an app published to a (large) active directory group rather than the "entire organization", and the user does have the App installed (because we push-installed the app to the AD group).  Has your end user tester installed the App from which the report is embedded?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
BrettHermann
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm experiencing the same issue as well. I feel like when you use the embed link from a published App in the Power BI Service, it should be tied to all users who are granted permissions to view the App. I'm not sure why it only accepts users that are contained within the workgroup. This does not make any sense to me. Are there any potential work arounds to this? I feel like it's not a feasible solution to create a new workspace and put the entire organization within the group just for embedded reporting.

Hi there

For true embedding you will need to go through the embedding Power BI into an existing App.

You can use Secure Embed which will allow you to put it into an existing web page.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I'm trying to embed using the embed to sharepoint link.. I'm getting my link from accessing a report in my published app that I have accessible to the entire orgnaization but it only seems like only the users within my actual workspace group can access the embedded report. I feel like security should extend to permissions that are tied to the published app audience, not the workspace group members.

I tested just now with an "App-published" report, and a user who is not part of the workspace membership *is* able to see the SharePoint-embedded report as well as the report on app.powerbi.com.  Admittedly, this is an app published to a (large) active directory group rather than the "entire organization", and the user does have the App installed (because we push-installed the app to the AD group).  Has your end user tester installed the App from which the report is embedded?

Yes this worked and will serve as a decent work around for now! The issue is that I don't really want to manage a larger AD group for what we are trying to embed. It would be much easier if all org users can access right away without having to install the app (or at least allow the power bi server admins to push an app to the entire org). Just some thoughts... But this will do for now so thanks again!

I've just realized that apps auto-install when you visit them for the first time.  So you can add a link below the embedded report saying "Don't see the Power BI dashboard?  Click here to install it."  Then, once the user clicks the link, the app will install, and then the embedded report will work for them thenceforth.

(Better to push the app install if you have priviliges to do so.)

Thanks for letting me know that it is working, and I am hopeful that it will improve over time.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ, do you mean that the Report must first be published in an App and then embed it?  It's true that when I first posted my question I had not fully wrapped my head around the App architecture and was still trying to share everything directly from workspaces.

smmcdonnell
Regular Visitor

Have we found a resolution to this?

@mparowski wrote:

I am trying to take advantage of SharePoint's ability to embed a Power BI Report into a SharePoint Modern Page. I am encountering issues with permissions and access. My primary goal is to make an embedded report visible to my entire organization, but I am hitting challenges with permissions. It appears that the only thing that makes a report visible to anyone in Sharepoint is membership in the Workspace. I have shared the report widely via powerbi.com, and my testers are able to see the report if I send them a direct powerbi.com link, but the same report embedded in SharePoint is not visible to them.

We have Power BI Premium, so licenses associated with viewing are not an issue.

The audience I need to share with is more than a thousand users, and the only way I can add users to the workspace is one at a time, plus it is then a static list of users that would require manual updating. Is there any way to make an embedded report visible within the organization without manually adding a thousand staff to the workspace? Given that staff are able to view the Report through powerbi.com directly suggests that this is a bug with the SharePoint embedding tool.

Please advise!

It is going to be very difficult and annoying to add, delete and update all the users in our organization.  Premier licensing should be all that is needed to grant access to reports embedded into SharePoint Online.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mparowski

Could you possibly Share the Report to an existing AD Or Azure Active Directory Security Group?

When completing the Sharing, just remove the options for Allow recipients to share your report and Send email notification to recipients

And see if this will work?

Hopefully then you can just have the users sitting in an AD or AAD Security Group to manage all the users.

Power BI Blog

Yes, I did that, and that's how I know that staff are able to access the report if I send the direct powerbi.com link.  The problem seems to be the embedding in SharePoint, which only works when people are members of the workspace.  I am not able to add the AD groups to the workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors