cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mparowski Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Embedding a report in SharePoint - making it accessible to entire organization

I am trying to take advantage of SharePoint's ability to embed a Power BI Report into a SharePoint Modern Page. I am encountering issues with permissions and access. My primary goal is to make an embedded report visible to my entire organization, but I am hitting challenges with permissions. It appears that the only thing that makes a report visible to anyone in Sharepoint is membership in the Workspace. I have shared the report widely via powerbi.com, and my testers are able to see the report if I send them a direct powerbi.com link, but the same report embedded in SharePoint is not visible to them.

We have Power BI Premium, so licenses associated with viewing are not an issue.

The audience I need to share with is more than a thousand users, and the only way I can add users to the workspace is one at a time, plus it is then a static list of users that would require manual updating. Is there any way to make an embedded report visible within the organization without manually adding a thousand staff to the workspace? Given that staff are able to view the Report through powerbi.com directly suggests that this is a bug with the SharePoint embedding tool.

Please advise!

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Re: Embedding a report in SharePoint - making it accessible to entire organization

Hi @mparowski

Could you possibly Share the Report to an existing AD Or Azure Active Directory Security Group?

When completing the Sharing, just remove the options for Allow recipients to share your report and Send email notification to recipients

And see if this will work?

Hopefully then you can just have the users sitting in an AD or AAD Security Group to manage all the users.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
mparowski Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Embedding a report in SharePoint - making it accessible to entire organization

Yes, I did that, and that's how I know that staff are able to access the report if I send the direct powerbi.com link.  The problem seems to be the embedding in SharePoint, which only works when people are members of the workspace.  I am not able to add the AD groups to the workspace.