Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

paulmadison
Frequent Visitor

Embedding a PowerBI App in a web page?

What are the options for embedding a published app from our Power BI workspace?

Is it possible to use iframe to embed it in a web page?

15 REPLIES 15
maltamar
Frequent Visitor

Has anybody found a workaround for this? 
I'm currently struggling to get this done, need to share a Power BI Organizational App to my company website

Thanks.

Hey @maltamar ,

you can not embed a Power BI App. It's only possible to embed reports, or a single visual from a report page.

Maybe this site helps to see what you can achieve: https://playground.powerbi.com/en-us/

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

I know now that it can't be done directly as a regular report, however, I found what it seems to be a workaround here 
What do you think about it? Should i try this?

No.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

It is not possible at all. The REST API allows you to embed reports and dashboards. You can't take the organizational app ID and use it as a report ID or dashboard ID.  I have tried.  So Workspace (Organizational) Apps, cannot be embedded.  You will likely have to do what we did and just have a link that opens in a new tab to the app itself and forget branding for now...

Power BI organizational apps CAN be embedded. The problem is that right now, they can ONLY be embedded in Microsoft Teams, which is a silly, arbitrary limitation. What we're requesting in this thread is for Microsoft to lift this restriction and allow Power BI organizational apps to be embedded anywhere that embedding is supported, like SharePoint pages/sites for example.

There is an open thread on Microsoft Ideas for this exact feature, so I encourage everyone here to add your votes to that thread.

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @paulmadison ,

Here are three ways to embed from power bi:

1.publish to web 

Here is the reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

2.Rest APIs

Here is the reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedding

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embed-...

3.Embeded 

Here is the reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-embed-secure

With the above 3 ways,you can all use iframe.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi paulmadison,

The most common way to embed a report is that you can publish a report to be embedded.  To do this, your Power BI instance needs to have this set up for permissions.  Then, you get the embed code and then you can embed it either on the internet for the world or locally on your intranet or into a SharePoint Online portal.  

For an example of this, look at https://epmstrategy.com/power-bi-demonstration/power-bi-embedded-example/ where we have embedded a report for the world.

To embed a Power BI APP, you have to go through some other steps, like grabbing the embedURL and use a REST API to extract the embedURL and then you can use that link.  

As for the second question, I know for sure that you can use iFrame to embed a report if you are using Power BI Report Server.  If you use the REST API I think that you can use the iFrame to consume the URL as well.

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi Colinq, 

I found your comment is meaningful to me, as i required to "To embed a Power BI APP " .  It would be great if you can share us more information regarding to this.

Currently i have succesfully to work out the Power BI Embeded for report but now i required to embed a Power BI App.

Hi @VincentLai ,

In the App you can share by doing the Export option like this:

collinq_0-1673555334643.png

Proud to be a Datanaut!

The question isn't how to embed a Power BI report, but how to embed a Power BI organizational app. It recently became possible to embed a Power BI organizational app in Teams. The question is, how can we do exactly that, but in a web page instead of Teams?

Has this been solved?  I am in serious need of being able to embed the organizational app into our site via an iframe. Regarding the comment above about leveraging the REST API, what specifically needs to be extracted for it to be used in an iframe?

Hey @OFOMC , @paulmadison , @JBartlett_DMU ,

If you are trying to do the entire App, into a website, it appears that using iFrame is going to be the only way.

This site talks about embedding the app (particularly the "for your organization" section):

Power BI embedded analytics overview - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power Apps appears that you could do it.  This URL explains: Embed PowerApps in Power BI dashboards or your website | Microsoft Power Apps

Proud to be a Datanaut!

OFOMC
Frequent Visitor

And I would add:

This site talks about embedding the app (particularly the "for your organization" section):

Power BI embedded analytics overview - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

This is not embedding via iframe.  This is integrating the REST / OAUTH framework into your application.  Which we can do (had planned to) just were wanting a quick and dirty to get us going immediately.

And this:

Power Apps appears that you could do it.  This URL explains: Embed PowerApps in Power BI dashboards or your website | Microsoft Power Apps

Is specifically for Power Apps.  I have not tested it, but because the url for that iframe includes Power.Apps as the destination, I am uncertain a PBI app would render unless PBI is creating a Power App behind the scenes when you create an Organizational App for your workspace.

So, all suggestions still leave you unable to just embed the workspace app as an iframe.  At this time, I do not think this is possible, but hopefully MS PBI will add it down the road.

Yes, that's precisely what we're asking for. The trouble is, none of the instructions indicate HOW to do it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors