Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carlochecchia
Helper I
Helper I

Embedding Reports

Hi all,

I have Embedded a Power BI report  into my website and would like to grant access to someone who is outside of my organization (the person also has a Pro license in PowerBI). My question is: if I grant access to someone, can they download the PBIX file somehow?

I tried a few times and couldnt find a way to download a PBIX file from a portal/website that is not the PowerBi cloud.

However, I would like to if the person who I grant access to, if he logs into her PowerBi Cloud, will he be able to download the file and see the queries and how it was built?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

as I understand you embedded the Power BI report into your website and you just provided access to your website, this means the user will authenticate against your web app and not against your Power BI tenant. Looking at an embedded Power BI report will not forward this report to Power BI tenant of the external user.

Even if you invite the external user to your tenant (AAD business to business) will not allow the user to download the pbix, unless you allow administrative access to the workspace. For this, for this just invite external users to an Power BI App but not a Power BI workspace.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

as I understand you embedded the Power BI report into your website and you just provided access to your website, this means the user will authenticate against your web app and not against your Power BI tenant. Looking at an embedded Power BI report will not forward this report to Power BI tenant of the external user.

Even if you invite the external user to your tenant (AAD business to business) will not allow the user to download the pbix, unless you allow administrative access to the workspace. For this, for this just invite external users to an Power BI App but not a Power BI workspace.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors