Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

river-phillips
Frequent Visitor

Embedding Report in a Portal

Hi all,

I'll be deploying a BI report with RLS to all of our users. Currently, the plan is to assign a Power BI Pro license to each user, so they can log in and take advantage of the BI service. However, there's the question of integrating the report into one of our portals.

Power BI Pro gives me an option to "embed report" in a website or portal. This is great because we have an internal portal that would be perfect to house this in (make it a one-stop-shop). And it wouldn't require anything other than each user having a Pro license.

river-phillips_0-1611589241595.png

I also see Microsoft offers "Power BI Embedded" which seems feasible, but I'm curious of any difference between this option and the option above (Share > Embed report > Website or portal).

Will using the first option (via Power BI Pro) cause any performance or access issues? If not, why would anyone choose the Power BI Embedded option over the Power BI Pro option (i.e. share > embed report)?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
jborn
Regular Visitor

Does Power BI Embedded give you additional options? 

iXpert_info
Helper II
Helper II

Hey @river-phillips 

This will get you better understanding of why you should not use it for internal organizational report
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web#limitations

this is for embedding report in a secure portal
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-embed-secure

Did I Answer your question? Please mark this as Solution to help others

Best Regards
Jay Patel
iXpert Analytics

Hi @iXpert_info,

Regarding this statement:

This will get you better understanding of why you should not use it for internal organizational report
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web#limitations

The portal I'm referring to is not publicly available & requires SSO authentication. 

If I'm understanding your reply correctly, it is okay to embed the report in an internal portal using the Share > Embed report > Website or portal option and not use the Power BI Embedded option?

Yes @river-phillips 

It is Safe to use Website or Portal way. Though the user's will need Power BI Pro or your content need to be in Power BI Premium Capacity.

Did I Answer your question? Please mark this as Solution to help others

Best Regards
Jay Patel
iXpert Analytics

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors