Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

afbraga66
Helper III
Helper III

Embedding - Difference between using Power BI API vs Share button

Hello,

I have been trying to understand what are the differences between using the Power BI API to embedded reports/dashboards/visuals, etc, and using the Share option in apps, which gives the option to embed in sharepoint or in a web page.

afbraga66_0-1619100006205.png

All the info I read seems to point to the API, but then I don't understand the advantage of it versus the Share option, which seems faster and simpler. Can you help me understand, because I haven't seen it anywhere fully explained? I seek to implement the option that has better performance.

Thank you.

Best regards,

André

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Sure, let's see.

• Share secure code: it's a limited cheaper version. This options will let you create an extension of any report to share with another user. Both users must have pro to check it or stored in Premium with Free. This option enforce a Azure AD login. It's almost the same thing as getting inside Power Bi Service.
  • Power Bi Embed API: this is much more flexible but you have to pay for capacity. Once you pay for Power Bi Embed capacity in azure, you can get this option. This solution let you handle almost everything in the front end. You can get report, dashboard, tile, visuals. You can set filters before loading the embed. You can add a lot of options like exporting or printing. There two ways to develop this. One is letting your App security to Microsoft Azure AD (meaning you need a company email to get in, I think you don't need PBI license). Two is embeding without asking the users the microsoft login. That last option is the strongest one. You can build your own login and share big time with external users removing the idea of license by user (you are already paying capacity).

I hope that make sense.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Sure, let's see.

• Share secure code: it's a limited cheaper version. This options will let you create an extension of any report to share with another user. Both users must have pro to check it or stored in Premium with Free. This option enforce a Azure AD login. It's almost the same thing as getting inside Power Bi Service.
  • Power Bi Embed API: this is much more flexible but you have to pay for capacity. Once you pay for Power Bi Embed capacity in azure, you can get this option. This solution let you handle almost everything in the front end. You can get report, dashboard, tile, visuals. You can set filters before loading the embed. You can add a lot of options like exporting or printing. There two ways to develop this. One is letting your App security to Microsoft Azure AD (meaning you need a company email to get in, I think you don't need PBI license). Two is embeding without asking the users the microsoft login. That last option is the strongest one. You can build your own login and share big time with external users removing the idea of license by user (you are already paying capacity).

I hope that make sense.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank you @ibarrau , thas was really helpful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors