Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

djplayer
Frequent Visitor

Embedded vs. Premium

Yes.. I know there are a couple topics on this but no matter how far I dig I can't find a clear and concise answer.

We still use the Power BI Embedded Workspace.  We are almost exclusively embedding Power BI in .NET apps.  We were told to we had to eventually move to Premium (not easy to swallow, fine).  Now there's "NEW" Power BI embedded.  We cannot test Power BI Embedded yet due to some complications in Azure.  But bottom line:

If app owns data.  Using a Pro PB Service account w/ Azure AD.  Also intend on using the API's for refresh etc.. 

Is there any reason to even entertain the notion of Premium (as they clearly define that for organization rather than customer). 

Also has there been any definitive answer whether the Embedded base tiers can utilize live query?      

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @djplayer,

Here is a good article which clearly explains the difference between the currently three Power BI SKUs (A, EM and P SKUs), and what to use when. Smiley Happy

PBI Embedded A PBI Premium EM PBI Premium P
Embed PBI Reports in your own application Embed PBI Reports in your own application Embed PBI Reports in your own application
  Embed PBI Reports in SaaS applications (SharePoint, Teams) Embed PBI Reports in SaaS applications (SharePoint, Teams)
    Share Power Reports, dashboards and datasets through Power BI Apps (workspaces)
     Ad hoc dashboard sharing from personal workspaces

Regards

much apprecaited.  I've read so many articles...  But I don't believe this is one I've seen

I should add that one of the major hurdles is being Azure (Commercial) and Power BI (Gov).  I cannot even create a Power BI Embedded resource (in Azure) as it tries to authenticate to the Power BI (SAAS) site.  I can only assume the backend wiring is designed for Commercial to Commerical.    Openned a ticket with MS, haven't heard a word after several days.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors