Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

srduval
Helper II
Helper II

Embedded power Bi server reports into SharePoint

Is there a way around the issue of publishing a report for use in sharepoint online where the end user is getting content unavailable if they are not an explict member of a public workgroup or have previously opened the published report from within the power bi service?

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @srduval

In your scenario, reports are embedded into SharePoint, but the end users can't access to the content in the SharePoint.

These users can open the report on Power BI Service.

Right?

Could you provide more details:

users use pro or free account?

they belong to the organization or external users?

the embedded report is from an App Workplace of Power BI Service or My Workplace?

Additionaly, I would recommend you to read this article to know how you can grant users access to your report.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-report-spo#granting-access-to-reports

Best Regards

Maggie

@v-juanli-msft

Maggie,

Yes you are correct in the scenario, I'll answer your questions then provide a little more description below.

1. reports are embedded into SharePoint, but the end users can't access to the content in the SharePoint.

A: Yes the report is embeded into a modern sharepoint page via the share via sharepoint online link, and yes they were able to open the report up in Power BI Service.  

2. users use pro or free account?

A: The users that attempted to open the report were all power bi Pro users

3. they belong to the organization or external users?

A: They all belong to the organization

4. the embedded report is from an App Workplace of Power BI Service or My Workplace?

A: The report was published to an App Workplace

I built the reports and published them to an workspace that was set to public and members could edit reports. (see attached screenshot). I tried embedding the report directly as well as creating an app that was shared with "Entire Organziation" and embedding that as well. In both cases the report and the app were both shared either via the enitre organization option or the all employees active directory group. Does that make a difference, sharing to an AD group vs individuals? Both cases the report was not visibile unless they first went to power bi service and opened the same report or app.

My first tester after repeated verification of permissions and seeing content not available on the sharepoint online page, I asked to open the app and the report in the power bi service, then to open the sharepoint online page that had the report embedded. This time after having viewed the report in power bi service, they were able to see the report embedded in the sharepoint online page.

I had another two testers who had not yet looked at the report in power bi service, which I confirmed by asking them to view the page and confirmed they got the message of content not available. After that confirmation, I went and added one of them to the workspace as a member and asked both to try again. The one person who was explicitly listed as a member of the app workspace could now see the embedded report, the other could not. I then went and added person #2 to be a member as well and asked them to close out of their browser and go back to the page again. This time both people could now see the report.

This is a report that I want shared out with the whole company, knowing those without power bi pro wouldn't be able to see it.

Which on a related note do you know if the scheduled export of power bi reports to a flat file (pdf or excel) is available yet?

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

@v-juanli-msft

Maggie,

Yes you are correct in the scenario, I'll answer your questions then provide a little more description below.

1. reports are embedded into SharePoint, but the end users can't access to the content in the SharePoint.

A: Yes the report is embeded into a modern sharepoint page via the share via sharepoint online link, and yes they were able to open the report up in Power BI Service.  

2. users use pro or free account?

A: The users that attempted to open the report were all power bi Pro users

3. they belong to the organization or external users?

A: They all belong to the organization

4. the embedded report is from an App Workplace of Power BI Service or My Workplace?

A: The report was published to an App Workplace

I built the reports and published them to an workspace that was set to public and members could edit reports. (see attached screenshot). I tried embedding the report directly as well as creating an app that was shared with "Entire Organziation" and embedding that as well. In both cases the report and the app were both shared either via the enitre organization option or the all employees active directory group. Does that make a difference, sharing to an AD group vs individuals? Both cases the report was not visibile unless they first went to power bi service and opened the same report or app.

My first tester after repeated verification of permissions and seeing content not available on the sharepoint online page, I asked to open the app and the report in the power bi service, then to open the sharepoint online page that had the report embedded. This time after having viewed the report in power bi service, they were able to see the report embedded in the sharepoint online page.

I had another two testers who had not yet looked at the report in power bi service, which I confirmed by asking them to view the page and confirmed they got the message of content not available. After that confirmation, I went and added one of them to the workspace as a member and asked both to try again. The one person who was explicitly listed as a member of the app workspace could now see the embedded report, the other could not. I then went and added person #2 to be a member as well and asked them to close out of their browser and go back to the page again. This time both people could now see the report.

This is a report that I want shared out with the whole company, knowing those without power bi pro wouldn't be able to see it.

Which on a related note do you know if the scheduled export of power bi reports to a flat file (pdf or excel) is available yet?

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors