Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

8686Keturah
Frequent Visitor

Embed Report on SharePoint Online

Good day,

I have a pro power bi license, created a report and created a sharepoint page. I have added my colleague to the page and granted them access to the power bi report. However, when they go to the Sharepoint page the report says they need a license? Any help would be appreciated.

From Power Bi Documentation: "The first way, if you're using a Microsoft 365 Group to build your SharePoint Online team site, is to list the user as a member of the workspace within the Power BI service and the SharePoint page."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @8686Keturah ,

You may be confusing publishing to the web (public) and embedding a web part of the report in SharePoint Online.

vcgaomsft_1-1663058249329.png

For Embed in SharePoint Online reports to work, the following is required:

1. The Power BI web part for SharePoint Online requires Modern Pages.

2. To consume an embedded report, users must sign in to Power BI service to activate their Power BI license.

3. Users need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license, unless the report is hosted in a Power BI Premium capacity (EM or P SKU). In that case, users only need a free Power BI license to view reports embedded in Sharepoint Online.

Embed a report web part in SharePoint Online

When you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. Viewing requires no authentication. It includes viewing detail-level data that your reports aggregate. Before publishing a report, make sure it's okay for you to share the data and visualizations publicly. Don't publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing.

Publish to web from Power BI

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @8686Keturah ,

You may be confusing publishing to the web (public) and embedding a web part of the report in SharePoint Online.

vcgaomsft_1-1663058249329.png

For Embed in SharePoint Online reports to work, the following is required:

1. The Power BI web part for SharePoint Online requires Modern Pages.

2. To consume an embedded report, users must sign in to Power BI service to activate their Power BI license.

3. Users need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license, unless the report is hosted in a Power BI Premium capacity (EM or P SKU). In that case, users only need a free Power BI license to view reports embedded in Sharepoint Online.

Embed a report web part in SharePoint Online

When you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. Viewing requires no authentication. It includes viewing detail-level data that your reports aggregate. Before publishing a report, make sure it's okay for you to share the data and visualizations publicly. Don't publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing.

Publish to web from Power BI

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Hello Gao,

I have been trying to use "Publish to web" all afternoon, and that option doesn't even appear for me anymore! Is there a different name now for the same option?  I have a Pro subscription.

Hi @DSCahan ,

Please check these:

vcgaomsft_0-1663291757838.png

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

Les111
Resolver I
Resolver I

If you have a Power BI Pro license, the other user will also need a Power BI Pro license. They will also need a suitable license to access the SharePoint site.

I believe I read that somewhere as well, however I have other users without a license and they can access the report on SharePoint.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors