Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rodneyc8063
Helper V
Helper V

Embed PBI Report in Dynamics 365 - Row Level Security?

My company is looking to implement Dynamics 365 and we came across an interesting scenario.

Lets say we create some reports in PBI (this is ok), and we then want to embed the reports into D365. I was able to find a few articles that speaks to this, so it doesnt look too bad. 

Next question though is lets say we also want to have row level security within these embedded reports in D365

How would we go about doing this?

Any help would be much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rodneyc8063 ,

>>If a user is logged into D365, then would the report just "work" without needing to authenticate the user?

Yes , if you use the secure embed link directly , you need to log in to access to the report. But there are two methods, you can perform Single-Sign-On.

• “User owns data”: each user of Dynamics 365 owns a Power BI account, and has access to the report that is embedded
  • “App owns data”: The users of Dynamics 365 don’t need a Power BI account. Instead, only one account is used for the integration. Dynamics 365 retrieves the credentials of this account to get the Power BI report. The account can be a “Master Account” or a “Service Principal”. The Master Account is like any other Power BI account. It should be used as a technical account and not be dependent on a user. The Service Principal requires no Power BI account. It is only registered in Azure, with no cost.

For more details, please refer to https://dynamics-chronicles.com/article/study-power-bi-embedded-integration-dynamics-365

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rodneyc8063 ,

>>If a user is logged into D365, then would the report just "work" without needing to authenticate the user?

Yes , if you use the secure embed link directly , you need to log in to access to the report. But there are two methods, you can perform Single-Sign-On.

• “User owns data”: each user of Dynamics 365 owns a Power BI account, and has access to the report that is embedded
  • “App owns data”: The users of Dynamics 365 don’t need a Power BI account. Instead, only one account is used for the integration. Dynamics 365 retrieves the credentials of this account to get the Power BI report. The account can be a “Master Account” or a “Service Principal”. The Master Account is like any other Power BI account. It should be used as a technical account and not be dependent on a user. The Service Principal requires no Power BI account. It is only registered in Azure, with no cost.

For more details, please refer to https://dynamics-chronicles.com/article/study-power-bi-embedded-integration-dynamics-365

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thanks for this Dedmon

This is sufficient for us to continue to investigate on our side, I guess its not a very easy and simple "click and go" scenario it seems. Looks like theres a bit of set up 🙂

But I at least have a good starting point thanks to you 🙂

Thank you!

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rodneyc8063 ,

You can follow the steps in https://crmchartguy.com/2019/02/18/embed-power-bi-visuals-in-dynamics-365-with-secure-embed/ to embed your trpot to dynamics 365. And you can follow  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-row-level-security to use rls with power bi embedded.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thanks for this

Follow up question though please

So if I wanted to embed a report in D365 and make sure the data is safe, it sounds like I would do a "Secure Embed"

From limited testing with a secure embed report, it looks like if i was to just pass out the url or use a secure embed in an iFrame it would require someone to sign in to Power BI - Which is fine.

But in the article: https://crmchartguy.com/2019/02/18/embed-power-bi-visuals-in-dynamics-365-with-secure-embed/

It states at the top that "That means we can now show Power BI reports inside Dynamics 365, without having to deal with authentication."

Naive question, but lets say I create a "secure embed" link and then paste it into D365.

If a user is logged into D365, then would the report just "work" without needing to authenticate the user?

It is smart enough to know that since someone logged in via D365 already that they dont need to authenticate again in PBI?

This is assuming they have a PBI license, and a proper D365 license.

I just wanted to make sure the experience is "seamless" once they are in D365 and it doesnt require a secondary sign in.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors