Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Embed Button in Power BI missing

I wanted to embed a PBI report but the File>Embed button is missing.

DanishAdam_1-1638171603256.png

I've read regarding the requiring admin to enable the embed function but the weird thing is another different PBI report has the option to embed.

DanishAdam_0-1638171580093.png

Both of this reports are connected to the same dataset.

Is there a reason for this inconsistency that I didn't know about? I have tried re-publish the report to no avail.

3 REPLIES 3
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

It looks like you're on a Power BI Free licence, which means the only sharing facility you have is "publish to web". Please be aware that "Publish to web" hosts your report on a public facing web server, so it can be found by others searching. That said, there are several reasons you may not be seeing "Publish to web".

Publish to web is supported for the vast majority of data sources and reports in the Power BI service. However, the following kinds of reports aren't currently supported or available with Publish to web:

• Reports using row-level security.
  • Reports using any Live Connection data source, including Analysis Services Tabular hosted on-premises, Analysis Services Multidimensional, and Azure Analysis Services.
  • Reports using a shared dataset that is stored in a different workspace from the report.
  • Shared and certified datasets.
  • Reports shared to you directly or through an app.
  • Reports in a workspace in which you aren't an edit member.
  • "R" and Python visuals aren't currently supported in Publish to web reports.
  • Exporting data from visuals in a report that has been published to the web.
  • ArcGIS Maps for Power BI visuals.
  • Q&A for Power BI visuals.
  • Reports containing report-level DAX measures.
  • Single sign-on data query models.
  • Secure confidential or proprietary information.
  • The automatic authentication capability provided with the Embed option doesn't work with the Power BI JavaScript API. For the Power BI JavaScript API, use the user owns data approach to embedding.
  • Admins can block public internet access, as described in Private links for accessing Power BI. In that case, the Publish to Web option is grayed out for your tenant in the Power BI admin portal.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Burningsuit. Thank you for replying. I've checked through the list you've provided and here's the summary:

• Reports using row-level security.
    • I didn’t use this
  • Reports using any Live Connection data source, including Analysis Services Tabular hosted on-premises, Analysis Services Multidimensional, and Azure Analysis Services.
    • ** As mentioned, the data source is similar to another different report but one can be embedded and the other can’t.
  • Reports using a shared dataset that is stored in a different workspace from the report.
    • Refer **
  • Shared and certified datasets.
    • Refer **
  • Reports shared to you directly or through an app.
    • Both reports made by me.
  • Reports in a workspace in which you aren't an edit member.
    • Both located in same workspace (MyWorkspace)
  • "R" and Python visuals aren't currently supported in Publish to web reports.
    • I didn’t use this
  • Exporting data from visuals in a report that has been published to the web.
    • Haven’t published to web.
  • ArcGIS Maps for Power BI visuals.
    • I didn’t use this
  • Q&A for Power BI visuals.
    • I didn’t use this
  • Reports containing report-level DAX measures.
    • I didn’t use this
  • Single sign-on data query models.
    • I didn’t use this
  • Secure confidential or proprietary information.
    • Both are from the same dataset containing similar information.
  • The automatic authentication capability provided with the Embed option doesn't work with the Power BI JavaScript API. For the Power BI JavaScript API, use the user owns data approach to embedding.
    • I didn’t use this.
  • Admins can block public internet access, as described in Private links for accessing Power BI. In that case, the Publish to Web option is grayed out for your tenant in the Power BI admin portal.
    • Refer **

DanishAdam_0-1638233671410.png

The report highlighted in blue doesn't have the option to embed but the one highlighted in green have the option. Eventhough they are all connected to the same dataset.

Hi, @Anonymous 

What's your data source? Does other reports in the workspace (not related to the problematic report) have this problem?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors