Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cherrypham

Email subscription with pdf attachment

I heard that Premium per user license can do the email subscription with pdf sent to end users.

Does this feature work well?

If most of my end users don't have Power BI license, I can send mail automatically to them with pdf attachment by using this Email subscription feature?

So it means that they can read the pdf in their mail without PowerBI license?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @cherrypham

A PPU user can create a subscription email that contains a PDF of the Report.

That email can be sent to a Pro user and they can see the PDF.

However that email cannot be sent to an email address that has a Free licence or does not have a licence, you'll get the error message "Free users or groups can only be subscribed to reports or dashboards backed by Premium capacity: " when you try and create the subscription, unless the organisation has a Premium Capacity licence and the report is on a Premium Capacity workspace.

I have known some sites set up a subscription to a Pro or PPU user and then have that user set Outlook rules to forward that email on to the other non-licenced users who want to see the Report and that seems to work.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KiranHosakote
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @cherrypham , @Tutu_in_YYC ,

Subscribe to email has some serious limitations. See https://medium.com/bi-helper/delivering-power-bi-reports-the-last-mile-problem-670c84c887c1 for more details. 

For your use case where end-users may only need PDF reports filtered on their data, see https://medium.com/bi-helper/automated-distribution-of-power-bi-reports-and-dashboards-25fde6c68af0 for a fully automated solution to report generation and distribution. 

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @cherrypham

A PPU user can create a subscription email that contains a PDF of the Report.

That email can be sent to a Pro user and they can see the PDF.

However that email cannot be sent to an email address that has a Free licence or does not have a licence, you'll get the error message "Free users or groups can only be subscribed to reports or dashboards backed by Premium capacity: " when you try and create the subscription, unless the organisation has a Premium Capacity licence and the report is on a Premium Capacity workspace.

I have known some sites set up a subscription to a Pro or PPU user and then have that user set Outlook rules to forward that email on to the other non-licenced users who want to see the Report and that seems to work.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Thank you for your clarification. It is so clear.

@Burningsuit Do you have any experience using Mail Enabled Security Group to set up for Power BI subscription for other users?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors