Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

loganwol
Employee
Employee

Email subscription with filters applied sends out the snapshot of report without the filter applied

Hi, 

I'm trying to setup a subcription of tracking trend of metric for our team. The visual is a simple line chart with x-axis as time and y-axis as the metric, with multiple sub-teams as the Legend. I want to send weekly updates to each team regarding their trend and to do that, I explored the email subscription option. 

When setting up the subscription I first filtered a specific team and then sent up the notification. When I received the email, the snapshot include is of the unfiltered line chart with all teams trend shown. The email also includes a Go to Report button link that takes me to the original report. When I click on that, the report loaded is the correct filtered report. 

The screenshots are below, to the left is all teams snapshot of what I see in the mail, to the right is the snapshot of what I see correctly of the filtered content specific to the team.

All teams trendAll teams trendFiltered to one teamFiltered to one team 

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Regards,

Sunil

9 REPLIES 9
KiranHosakote
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @loganwol , @Anonymous , @MarkPalmberg et al,

Subscribe to email has some well known limitations https://medium.com/bi-helper/delivering-power-bi-reports-the-last-mile-problem-670c84c887c1

An alternative way to email the entire report or dahboard as a single PDF with filters and slicers applied, making it user-specific is at https://medium.com/bi-helper/automated-distribution-of-power-bi-reports-and-dashboards-25fde6c68af0

For your use case, just publish your visual as a separate report / dashboard in Power BI Service to get started. 

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @loganwol ,

For your scenario, I 'd like to suggest you to take a look at the document about RLS in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @loganwol ,

Currently, subscriptions sent are based on the last saved state only and not filtered data. This is right now a limitation in Power BI.

You can achieve filtered subscription by filtering data for one team and then saving it and then subscribing to report.

You can vote for an idea about this here.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

This idea has been coming soon for 3 years!!! Any idea on when it will arrive?

Agreed. How is it useful for a user to set filters in a report, then subscribe to receive a PDF of that filtered report, only to get a PDF of the unfiltered report?

Anonymous
Not applicable

my report that has a number of filters applied works just find and sends the filtered pdf. I use the filter pane on the right side. Save it. Then add subscribers in the service.

Right, but then *I* have to be responsible for managing a user's subscription?

Thanks for the response Anand. When you mention saving it, do you mean saving a copy of the report? Please clarify. 

@loganwol ,

It can be anything. You can save a copy of report or the original report itself. If you want change to be reflected in existing subscription, you should save the original copy.

Point here is subscription will be sent as per last saved state of the subscribed report.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors