Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Markzolotoy
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Email motifications

Which is easier (less licensing as well) to subscribe external users? PBI reports or paginated reports?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think it's the same in a configuration stand point. About costs or licensing, PBI reports let you configure with Pro inside the organizatión. However Pro will show "Recipient email addresses outside of your organization can only be added for reports or dashboards backed by Premium capacity" when adding an email outside the organizatión. In case of Paginated Reports need a Premium Capacity to host.

In conclusion. Subscribe with external will ask you for premium. If you want to keep the costs low I would recommend redirecting mails with Outlook or building some sort of Power Automate.

Power Automate example: https://bielite.com/blog/setting-up-power-bi-subscriptions-for-external-users/#:~:text=First%20thing....

I hope that helps

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Markzolotoy
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@ibarrau Ok, bottom line  - Premium capacity is a must.

Now, with PBI reports. Will the external users need to have Pro licenses to receive the emails? These recipients are external. 

Again, if you use the Subscription in Power Bi Service you need the report to be in a Premium Capacity. Then the users won't need Pro (they can with free).

However if you want to use just Pro (cheaper) to share pro externals, you have to build it redirecting Outlook or Power Automate.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think it's the same in a configuration stand point. About costs or licensing, PBI reports let you configure with Pro inside the organizatión. However Pro will show "Recipient email addresses outside of your organization can only be added for reports or dashboards backed by Premium capacity" when adding an email outside the organizatión. In case of Paginated Reports need a Premium Capacity to host.

In conclusion. Subscribe with external will ask you for premium. If you want to keep the costs low I would recommend redirecting mails with Outlook or building some sort of Power Automate.

Power Automate example: https://bielite.com/blog/setting-up-power-bi-subscriptions-for-external-users/#:~:text=First%20thing....

I hope that helps

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hello @Markzolotoy 

As @ibarrau  Suggested you can follow these steps to send the email to external users.

https://medium.com/all-about-power-bi/setting-up-power-bi-subscriptions-for-external-users-using-out...

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors