Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sirui_sun
Employee
Employee

Email Subscriptions Public Preview Feedback

Hello all!

We'd love to hear your feedback on the new email subscriptions feature, now in public preview. Report page subscriptions announcement. Dashboard subscriptions announcement. Documentation.

Please let us know below if you have questions, feature suggestions, or any other feedback!

As the blog post mentions, we will continue to iterate on this feature in the months to come. The list below details the planned improvements, and provides links to their respective UserVoice pages. We encourage you to cast your vote on UserVoice to help us prioritize our next steps!

Thanks,

-Sirui Sun

Program Manager, Power BI

57 REPLIES 57
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

I reported this in the comments to the developer blog announcement but I might as well bring it up here to see if anyone else is experiencing it:

I tried subscribing to a page that has a lot of cards, which sometimes takes up to 20 seconds to fully load in a browser. My daily emails from this page invariably have only half the cards loaded, with the rest obviously still working on it when the snapshot was taken. So that's useless. I might as well get nothing in the email if I can't get the whole page.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

At least something is being delivered to you...

ger
Frequent Visitor

Hi Alex,

If you look at the details of teh gateway refresh to see who it is configured by, do you see your org email address or your alternative address?

Configured by in the gateway refresh is picking up my alternative email address instead of organsiational.

Could service be picking up the incorrect email details causing both problems?

Regards Ger

Hi @ger. Thanks for the suggestion, but as I'm using an import, and not a direct query, I don't have any Gateways configured.

alexSPY
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @sirui_sun. I'm unable to generate any emails. I've tested refreshing my dataset and made sure that the data changes, but I'm not seeing anything show up. I'm currently doing On Demand refresh and am curious if that's causing any problem?

Hey alexSPY - 

I'm sorry to hear that. On-demand refresh should absolutely trigger the scheduled e-mail.

I assume you've already checked your spam and clutter e-mail folders?

If so, another question for you: do you happen to know your account's User Principal Name, and whether it's the same as your e-mail address?

-Sirui

Thanks a lot for the response. I did check all of my email folders where it could have landed, including clutter and spam. I also verified that my principal name is the same as my email address.

Any other ideas? I refreshed again last night and still did not get any email.

morgandj88
Regular Visitor

A very helpful feature would be a option to SELECT the time that the email is sent.  Some of our reports are refreshed multiple times throughout the day but the most meaningful to see in an email report would be the data at close of business.  As it is currently configured, the email report is sent at the first instance of refresh which is not entirely what we need.  Thanks for listening!

tripbam
Regular Visitor

Great start.  Please add the ability to CC: additional email addresses.  Will be an awesome way to support proactive communications.  

morgandj88, Great idea, we are actually actively working on adding more features to Email Subscriptions. Please help priorities ideas by voting this similar idea Subscribing *others* to email snapshots of dashboards and report pages.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How is security handled?

Does the subscription include the username so when there is RLS in a tabular data model on SSAS it passes that back so only the appropriate rows as defined in the user roles in SSAS are returned?

Thanks!

Hey all -

Thanks for the feedback - keep 'em coming!

RE Yoshihiro - we are looking into this. To help us prioritize, please feel free to create a topic on ideas.powerbi.com and submit your ideas there.

RE cwebb22 - we are aware of all the issues you mentioned, and are looking to address them during the course of public preview. Rest assured that our goal is that you'll get a timestamp in the right timezone, and that the report pages render with no issues in the email.

RE OneWithQuestion - with respect to security: only users who have access to the report in Power BI will be able to subscribe themselves. If the user loses access to the report, the subscriptions will cease. Subscriptions will honor the RLS configuration for the user that set it up.

Hi @sirui_sun, Thank you for your reply.

I submit my feedback as Idea.

Idea "Phone layout reports of Email Subscription"

cwebb22
Advocate II
Advocate II

Three bits of feedback:

1. The timestamp on the email appears to be unlocalized
  2. Certain OOB visuals (KPI, slicer) don't render well
    • KPI does not show all details, including goal and distance
    • Support for new slicer features (date, slider) does not currently exist
  3. Images appear scrunched up f they reach from margin to margin (left to right)

Do you have any tips to fix these issues?

I've noticed these issues persist in the export to PowerPoint Preview so it is likely they are related to the rendering engine.

In any case, this is an excellent feature and I look forward to when it is GA.

yoshihirok
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for your greate work.

I share this Email Subscription feature with our friends.

and, I try this by my reports.

- Subscribe my reports.

- View mails by Outlook 2016 on Windows 10

- Got mails by Outlook on Windows 10 mobile.

I hope to subscribe mobile mode reports as email for view on Phone.

to daily check reports on my Phone.

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Awesome news, would lilke to test it ASAP and provide the feedback.

Great Job!!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors