Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

harshipsns
Frequent Visitor

Email Subscription on Power BI Service

We have a scenario where if the data is not updated in the dataset then the email should not be scheduled. But currently Power BI triggers an email after the very first refresh, will it still trigger an email even if the dataset is not updated? (Updated and Refreshed are different in my terms), sometimes even if there is a refresh then the data wont be updated, in those scenarios will still an email be generated after the first refresh?

4 REPLIES 4
jocs
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue, notice that you will still received an email notification even no data value has been updated in your dataset.

This is due to during the scheduled refresh, the data in the dataset at Power BI Service will still get "refresh" (Import and overwritten), so to the alerts, it is seems that the data has been updated ("refreshed" is the keyword)

i think currently it won't work for imported dataset, should work for direct query. 

Will post the feedback to Microsoft.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @harshipsns,

I also not very clear for these(these scenarios not mentioned in document), maybe you can take a look at below document:

Subscribe to a Power BI report or dashboard

How the email schedule for reports is determined

The following table describes how frequently you will receive an email. It all depends on the connection method of the dataset upon which the dashboard or report is based (DirectQuery, Live connection, imported to Power BI, or Excel file in OneDrive or SharePoint Online) and on the subscription options available and selected (daily, weekly, or none).

DirectQuery Live Connect Scheduled refresh (import) Excel file in OneDrive/SharePoint Online
How often does the report/dashboard get refreshed? Every 15m Power BI checks every 15 minutes, and if the dataset has changed, the report is refreshed. User selects none, daily, or weekly. Daily can be up to 8 times a day. Weekly is actually a weekly schedule that the user creates and sets refresh for as few as once a week and as often as daily. Once every hour
How much control does the user have over the subscription email schedule? Options are: daily or weekly No options: users is sent an email if the report refreshes, but no more than once per day. If the refresh schedule is daily, options are daily and weekly. If the refresh schedule is weekly only option is weekly. No options: user is sent an email whenever the dataset is updated, but no more than once per day.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

HI,

Thanks for the response.

I am doing a sheduled refresh not an live query. So when it is a scheduled refresh, will I  still be recieving an email after the first refresh irrespective of the data being updated or not?

HI @harshipsns,

>>So when it is a scheduled refresh, will I  still be recieving an email after the first refresh irrespective of the data being updated or not?

Hmm, document only mentioned it will send once/day if dataset refresh multiple times. I also not so sure it will at least send email once/day.

You will receive an email snapshot of each report page when the report is refreshed. If the report doesn't refresh, you will not receive a snapshot email that day. If the report refreshes more than once a day, you will only receive the email snapshot after the first refresh.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors