Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mozaid
Employee
Employee

Ellipse button missing from Power BI reports for all external users to export data to csv

No button to export data to excel

4 REPLIES 4
mwaltercpa
Advocate III
Advocate III

I too have external users that are using the tables to print reports.  If that feature is no longer available for them, is there a way to allow the File Print option to be able to print the full report?  This is what they really want to do, but the print feature seems pretty limited right now.

Thanks,

I agree, the export data button was previously there for external users but has now gone. For some uses this is actually a big positive for us. However, what we need is a way to be able to control this function. Preferaby at a visual level but at least at a report level. This is needed for both the service and Embeded. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mozaid,

Based on my test, the feature exporting data to Excel is not available for external users that you share dashboard with. It is able to make your visuals available to external users, but not make the underlying data export-able, this behavior is acceptable from a security perspective.  If you concern about this behavior, I recommend you submit an idea on the Power BI Idea forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas  .

In addition, as a workaround for this issue, you can consider to share external users the PBIX file. With the PBIX file, they are able to export data directly from reports in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

I have lots of external users who until last week were able to export data.  Since Monday 24th Oct i've been getting calls from these users saying they no longer get the option to export the data so it seems to be a very recent change.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors