Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Effective user name not working on Paginated Report connected to SSAS Tabular

Hi,

Im struggling here 😞

Heres my setup:

On Power Bi:

-Premium tenant with a workspace with assigned capacity.

On the very same server i have:

-Power BI Gateway Version 3000.9.194 (September 2019).

-SSAS Tabular 2012 Instance with a Cube that has role based security. (User test should see only one record, I see everything)

Facts:

-The SSAS Tabular server and the SQL Browser are both running under different AD accounts with their corresponding SPNS configured.

-The Gateway service is running under an AD service account with its own spn and kerberos delegation enabled to the spns of the SSAS tabular server and the SQL Browser.

-The Cube is mapped in the gateway. The credentials used are the ones of an administrator of SSAS Tabular instance.

-When the test user connects directly to the cube through excel, he sees the one record he should.

-I created a power bi "dashboard" that connects "live" to the cube, and when the test user executes it, he sees only the correct record. (I traced the query with sql profiler and indeed the effective user name property is being inserted in the request)

-Finally, i created a paginated report that connects to the very same cube. The test user sees EVERYTHING. The sql profile indeed does not show the effective user name property being included.

Has anyone experienced this?

4 REPLIES 4
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Current RLS only works on report server or database side, you can't enable RLS on paginated report.

For your requirement, you can submit an idea for this requirement.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

"Current RLS only works on report server or database side, you can't enable RLS on paginated report." -> this is not accurate. Paginated Reports supports SSO scenarios for multiple cases - Supported data sources for Power BI paginated reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

You can do RLS using Set up row-level security in Power BI paginated reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Having said all this, we currently do not support SSO through Gateway for SSAS. For this ask, please upvote existing idea at Microsoft Idea (powerbi.com).

Hi, is it still valid that you cannot apply RLS on paginated reports?

This is not correct, please see my other reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors