Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Editing information directly into Power BI Service

Is it possible to edit information on Power BI service live?

I am currently using slicers to allow the field to drill into the data.

They are asking if its possible to enter information directly into the fields. (like it is a cell in excel)

I have told them it is not possible, but just to ensure I am correct and covering my bases can someone give me a definitive answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You are correct, that you cannot enter data directly in the Power BI Service.

With that being said, you could create a Power App, which you could embed into your Power BI Report, which would then allow them to write back to the source data. And after a refresh it would then appear in the Power BI Report.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You are correct, that you cannot enter data directly in the Power BI Service.

With that being said, you could create a Power App, which you could embed into your Power BI Report, which would then allow them to write back to the source data. And after a refresh it would then appear in the Power BI Report.

Power BI Blog

Will this work on Power BI Service once you upload the report to the web? I am doing similar work, I used some R script to pop up dialog for user input, it's working in local report, but once I uploaded it to web, the pop up dialog doesn't show up anymore and the report timed out. I cannot figure out why. I don't think it is gateway related since my data is just uploaded using a .cvs file.

Yes it will work. You import the Power Apps Custom Visual which allows you to interact with the Power App and if you configured the Power App to complete write back it can do it inside the Power BI report in the Power BI Service.

Power BI Blog

Thank you very much! Will give it a try.

Anonymous
Not applicable

we do not want the team changing the source data, more like give a preview of "what would happen if" kind of thing. Them not changing the sourtce data is important since the source data is generated from formulas and I'm sure I don't need to explain why we dont want people inputting hard numbers over formulas.

Hi there,

You could try the What If parameters

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-what-if

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

That might work, I will play with it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors