Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit usage for business users

hi 

I want my business users to give the edit fucntionality of the reports i had created and published to my work space. I had the given the view persmission to the work space where are able to view the dashboards and reports .

Currently i have the requirement where i busienss is asking for few changes to tiles and removal of columns that is more of adhoc analysis they have to do . In that case can you tell me the option for it . When i see few posts it was asked for creation of content packs for the business users .Is it the only option we have currently? . Or is there any option to do that .

Example : I have the table report with 60 columns but business went to remove or add few columns based on the bsuienss meetings .

If i do any modifications to the original report will the chnages reflects to the content packs with out clicking on "update content packs"???. can anyone help here?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous Yeah, but then all the users would be saving their own copies to a single workspace... which would be ugly to say the least. But, it may be the only option at the moment.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

@Anonymous What you are eluding to is the real issue, I can't build a dataset and have a business user access that in any workspace they want. Here are some work arounds that I can think of, but none are good. 

1) Put a copy of the PBIX in a shared location (Not in PBI Service), grant them access to read from the data sources, and they can create their own copies and put it in a workspace of their choosing.

2) Create a workspace and give them access (like you mentioned)

3) There is an ability to copy workspaces and object using Power Shell, but I don't think it really applys to this

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Anonymous First, don't use Content Packs, they are going to be deprecated at some point and aren't worth confusing your end users. That being said, it was the only way for business users to create versions of their own reports, and it still is. There isn't really a great answer to this particular scenario at the moment (in my opinion).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Yeah, but then all the users would be saving their own copies to a single workspace... which would be ugly to say the least. But, it may be the only option at the moment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous What you are eluding to is the real issue, I can't build a dataset and have a business user access that in any workspace they want. Here are some work arounds that I can think of, but none are good. 

1) Put a copy of the PBIX in a shared location (Not in PBI Service), grant them access to read from the data sources, and they can create their own copies and put it in a workspace of their choosing.

2) Create a workspace and give them access (like you mentioned)

3) There is an ability to copy workspaces and object using Power Shell, but I don't think it really applys to this

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors