Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MWilliams
Frequent Visitor

Edit report located in others My Workspace/Do I have to recreate the report?

Hi All,

I am bumping up against the limits of Power BI functionality and am hoping someone can help me come up with a workaround.  

The issue is that my team has a report that we would like a few different people to be able to edit.  Unfortunately this report was already created inside someones My Workspace.  I know you can't give edit permissions to others from your My Workspace, I also know there is no way to copy or transfer the report from one workspace to another.  The report was also created in Power BI Service so I cannot download as PBIX and reupload in a better location.  Is there any way to do what we are attempting without recreating the whole report in a different workspace?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

That is strange that you cant download the report from the Service, you can try using the PowerShell cmdlets to export that pbix as a try. In regards to giving "a few people edit permissions" I would recommend creating a "New WorkSpace" which is in Preview that allows certain members to be given edit permissions while others can have Admin, or just regular view roles as this is not availble in the current workspace functionality.

My understanding is the only reports you can download a PBIX for are those that were created in PBI Desktop and published, not those created in PBI Service.  

In regards to creating a new workspace, this does appear to be the best solution.  Is the only way of doing this completely recreating the report within that new workspace though?  

I would give the PowerShell cmdlets aa try, you would need to script a little in PowerShell, have a PBI Admin account and then you can export the files out from that workspace as per understanding ,else I would go ahead and recreate the report and host it in the previewed new workspace.

Thank you for your time and help.  I'll give PowerShell a try.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors