Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pineapple77
Frequent Visitor

Edit before Load Problems

Hello,

I have a few questions about editing a table in the query editor.

When i edit the table before loading it where do actually the edit is performed?

If i am editing it in a temporary file where does the file is located (saved)?

When i load the table on which server the table is loaded to?

When loading a table are there any changes that are performed by Power BI to the table so it can load on the server ?

If it is making some changes what are they?

Does this server have any conflicts with special characters ?

Best Regards,

Pavlin Ivanov

Data analyst

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@pineapple77

When i edit the table before loading it where do actually the edit is performed?

Each edit is compiling a longer "M" code process to connect and transform your data. The edit is performed within the Power BI Desktop in the Edit Queries (Power Query).

Your datasource is never directly edited. You ingest the data into Power BI and the transformations happen within the scope of Power BI, not your originating datasource.

Loading the data (Close & Apply) pushes the data into the Model (Vertipaq Engine) from the Edit Queries portion. The data is compressed and stored on the local machine that you are working on with the Desktop. An Analysis Services instance is actually spun up behind the scenes.

When loading a table are there any changes that are performed by Power BI to the table so it can load on the server ?

Yes, it is compressed and inserted into the Vertipaq Engine.

Compression and Optimization

Not to my knowledge.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@pineapple77

Each edit is compiling a longer "M" code process to connect and transform your data. The edit is performed within the Power BI Desktop in the Edit Queries (Power Query).

Your datasource is never directly edited. You ingest the data into Power BI and the transformations happen within the scope of Power BI, not your originating datasource.

Loading the data (Close & Apply) pushes the data into the Model (Vertipaq Engine) from the Edit Queries portion. The data is compressed and stored on the local machine that you are working on with the Desktop. An Analysis Services instance is actually spun up behind the scenes.

Yes, it is compressed and inserted into the Vertipaq Engine.

Compression and Optimization

Not to my knowledge.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hello, Eno1978,

Thank you for the detailed answer!

Best Regards,

Pavlin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors