Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jones_lilly
Frequent Visitor

Edit and republish report- effect on data for report in Power BI Service?

Hi there.

I have a Power BI report, published to the Power BI service, that is connected to a SQL database through a Gateway. The table I am connected to in SQL auto archives quite frequently at moment due to a lot of 'noise' being created, and it is hitting the SQL table row limit quite quickly. (I am connected to the 'live' SQL table. Has a limit of 2 million rows. Then this is moved to an archive table that I am not connected to.) I have my report running in Import Mode btw.

If I edit this Power BI report on Power BI Desktop and then republish this report (With the same data sources), is the previous data that was associated with the report updated to data published with edited report? i.e. All previous data in Power BI service associated with the report is removed and I only have data that was available in the 'live' SQL table? Or will I see all previous data available before edit?

Apologies, not sure if I explained this scenario clearly!

Conor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jones_lilly ,

I would like to explain it more clearly. After you republish the edited report, if you are not logged in to the Service now, when you log in, you will not see the original data. If the Service is logged in when you republish, your report will still be original data, because Power BI caches the data, you need to refresh the report page or re-sign in to see the new data.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please considerAccept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jones_lilly ,

I would like to explain it more clearly. After you republish the edited report, if you are not logged in to the Service now, when you log in, you will not see the original data. If the Service is logged in when you republish, your report will still be original data, because Power BI caches the data, you need to refresh the report page or re-sign in to see the new data.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please considerAccept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jones_lilly ,

1.When you republish the report, a prompt will appear, saying that the dataset will be replaced, so you don't have to refresh the dataset, it has been replaced by the latest one.

vkalyjmsft_0-1647500104232.png

2."Because Power BI copies the data, you must refresh the dataset to fetch changes from the underlying data sources."  means when you have a gateway connected successfully, and when the data source changed, you can refresh the dataset, then it will reimport the data source to dataset.

The result of the above two methods is the same, that is, the dataset is refreshed, but the first (republish the report) don't need a gateway, the second need.

Best Regards,

NimaiAhluwalia
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @jones_lilly 

Can you please explain it more accurately, thanks

Regards,

Sure.

So I have a report with a datasource that is a SQL database. (It is a report that is connected via Import Mode.) Say this report is published to the Power BI service on Day 1.

Let's say 10 days later I edit the report (eg Small change like a format change but same datasource) and republish this report to the Power BI service. Is all the data from the previous 10 days, in the Power BI service, still available to the report IF the original SQL datasource no longer has this data from previous 10 days? 

Conor

Hello @jones_lilly 

Thanks for explaining well again, the data won't be available to you on the service if it doesn't appear in the SQL Source as it refreshes the whole table in the Power BI, if the data is not present in the SQL it won't populate in Power BI

Datasets in Import mode

Power BI imports the data from the original data sources into the dataset. Power BI report and dashboard queries submitted to the dataset return results from the imported tables and columns. You might consider such a dataset a point-in-time copy. Because Power BI copies the data, you must refresh the dataset to fetch changes from the underlying data sources.

Because Power BI caches the data, Import mode dataset sizes can be substantial. Refer to the following table for maximum dataset sizes per capacity. Stay well below the maximum dataset sizes to avoid refresh issues that might occur if your datasets require more than the maximum available resources during a refresh operation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data

Regards,

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

Thanks @NimaiAhluwalia 

"Because Power BI copies the data, you must refresh the dataset to fetch changes from the underlying data sources." - If I understand this correctly, it retain all previous data imported into the Power BI dataset for the report. Any changes then will be updated on each refresh?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors