Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VizKid
Frequent Visitor

Edit Excel option is not working in Power BI Services

Is Edit option not eabled?

I am trying to hit edit after publishing my excel to Power BI Online Services.

I like to publish this workbook and give users access so they can input daily numbers from Transacational systems till we develop the sql DB to use that as data source for the Dashboard.

VizKid_0-1593723636404.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you so much @v-alq-msft - I figured out the problem.

Excel was not hosted from OneDrive or SharePoint. It was pointed to local drive...As soon as I uploaded to SharePoint the Edit option was enabled.

I tested again pointing to local drive and Edit button was disabled and becomes enabled when pointing to SharePoint or OneDrive.

Thanks so much for pointing to the right direction - much appreciated!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @VizKid 

Based on your description, i assume that choose the option 'Connect,manage,view Excel in Power BI'.

When you choose Connect, your workbook will appear in Power BI just like it would in Excel Online. But, unlike Excel Online, you’ll have some great features to help you pin elements from your worksheets right to your dashboards.

You can’t edit your workbook in Power BI. But if you need to make some changes, you can click Edit, and then choose to edit your workbook in Excel Online or open it in Excel on your computer. Any changes you make are saved to the workbook on OneDrive.

If you want other users to access the workbook, they need to request permission from you. An e-mail address will send to your outlook. You need to accepct the request to allow the user to edit the workbook.

f1.png

f2.png

For further information, you may refer to the document .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-alq-msft 

Thank you so much, really appreciate the detailed feedbak.

One question though...

I cannot see the Edit option enabled in Power BI service for Excel; Is there a Admin setting in Power BI Or the Excel has to be in specific format?

Thanks so much.

Hi, @VizKid 

I wonder if it is an external user. You may check if  'Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization' option is enabled with Power BI admin account.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much @v-alq-msft - I figured out the problem.

Excel was not hosted from OneDrive or SharePoint. It was pointed to local drive...As soon as I uploaded to SharePoint the Edit option was enabled.

I tested again pointing to local drive and Edit button was disabled and becomes enabled when pointing to SharePoint or OneDrive.

Thanks so much for pointing to the right direction - much appreciated!!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You will need to edit it via SharePoint Online.

Power BI is a read only view of the Excel file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors