Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tim1234567890
Frequent Visitor

Edit Credentials only showing Anonymous

Hello,

after publishing my Power BI Report from Desktop into a workspace, i tried to authenticate the connection to the Sharepoint List, as usual.

--> Settings --> Datasource Authentication --> edit credentials --> Microsoft Account --> Login --> Done

When selecting "Edit credentials" i usually get the option to select from Anonymous, Windows/ Microsoft Account or OAuth2 Account.

Somehow for this specific Datasource I can only select Anonymous, the other Reports which refer to similar SharePoint Lists, don't have this complication.

This leads to the problem, my SharePoint won't allow me to access my Data, because I cannot properly authenticate my credentials.

Has anyone faced this issue before? 

I've tried to:

- only republishing the report

- set credentials in Power BI Desktop (even refreshing works here without an issue)

- deleting and republishing the report  & Datasource

- reloading Browser

9 REPLIES 9
innov8iv

I had the very same problem and finally found out why (at least for me). By default, the SharePoint Online URL that Power BI used included the http protocol instead of https. (Seems like a bad decision to me.)

The protocol is actually hidden when selecting the data source. I was able to edit the data source to https... in PBI desktop without losing anything.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tim1234567890 

What happens if you change it to version 14?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ That wont work as well. Version 15 is working on the other Reports.

Hi @Tim1234567890 

I am not sure what else to do, it has worked for me in the past!

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ,

sadly i still cannot change my authentification method from anonymous.

In Power BI Desktop it works for this exact report, sadly not in Power BI Online....

Any ideas?

Best regards

Tim

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tim1234567890 

What version of the SharePoint API are you using as there is version 14 and version 15?

SharePoint.Contents - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs

SharePoint Folder Connector fails for API 15 - Microsoft Power BI Community

You could also connect using Excel and putting in the SharePoint URL and see if that resolves your issue?

Power BI Blog

Hello GilbertQ,

thanks for your reply.

I cannot really answer your question, as I do not properly know, where to find that information. Maybe it will help if I specify a little more, what I'm trying to do.

Attached you find a picture of the issue I'm facing. I have published the report into Power BI Online, and I'm trying to verify my credentials, so I can set up an automatic refresh.

The report refers to a SharePoint List containing not documents, but elements which I'm using to create the report.

I cannot really decide, which API to use, as I only publish the report and already get this message. Also i cannot recall to ever have to specify which API I want to use. 

Hope this helps..

Best regards

Tim

Tim1234567890_0-1617795865228.png

Hi @Tim1234567890 

You could please need to go through the link I sent which explains in detail how to change the API version and see if that works.

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ,

thanks for your reply, when I'm in Power BI Desktop, I can normally update the Dataset and select, which authentication I want to use.

When going for that information in first link, I'm receiving information, that it's ApiVersion = 15.

Best regards

Tim 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors