Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit App after publishing it

I was about to ask how to edit an App after publishing it but through frustration i clicked almost everyone button.  Its unintuitive but you have to select "Publish App" again from the appropriate workspace.  This isn't what i would have expected to have to click.

I figured i'm not going to be the first person be unsure, and hopefully this helps someone.

8 REPLIES 8
KWind_22
Frequent Visitor

This is the most un-intuitive thing I could ever think of. How could a company make a button to edit something and no clear save button, but rather expect you to abandon the navigation pane just to update the app again and then ... miraculously see that the app has actually been updated with the section changes.

Thank you for posting this ...  I would be so happy with a "update app" (save or publish...) on the top pane after I have clicked on eddit app pencil.

Thanks poster you helped me solve this!!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

I would suggest watching this video from Guy In a Cube

https://guyinacube.com/2017/05/using-apps-app-workspaces-power-bi/

Really useful and great information on how to use the Apps.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @GilbertQ i'm subscribed to him on YouTube and those guys are great.  I might have missed this video, but i highly recommend it to anyone else reading this thread in the future.

It seems to only be on the Guy In a Cube for some reason. And yes I can recommend it also. Thanks @Anonymous

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the feedback guys. We will make it easier and more intuitive.

Out of curiosity, what do think is the most intuitive way to do this? 

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.
KWind_22
Frequent Visitor

Id suggest a simple button "publish app" on the top pane woud sufice.  Then id intuetively see here I can "save the changes". After pressing an edit app button, there needs to be a "save app" button

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not knowing if this is possible, my suggestion would be to change the button depending on whether an App exists or not.

So "Publish App" would change to "Update App" once an app is published.  If you unpublish the app, then it would revert to "Publish App".

Ok thanks. that is what we are planning as well. Good to know that it aligns with your expectation. 

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors