Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cARLOSPERALTA
Advocate I
Advocate I

E-mail Invite to External User Not Sending

Hi!

I have a Premium account and I'm trying to share a report from a workspace. I'm getting the notification telling me that the e-mail is sent, but the external user doesn't receive it. I made sure that the checkbox to send the e-mai is checked.

However, I found a way to make it work. I have to add the user as a guest on my Azure AD, and then send the invite.

I feel like Power BI is not automatically creating the external user as a guest on my AD, which it should do, as per the documentation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Carlos Peralta

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @cARLOSPERALTA 

Thanks for the question and I agree that it used to do this in the past.

What I do these days is when I share externally I also send the user an email from my email address with the actual link to the app/report or dashboard to ensure that they have it.

Not sure what has changed to be honest.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the quick reply @GilbertQ.

Is it juste me or even when I send the link to the external user it doesn't work?

After the invite is sent, if I click on Share and then on the Access tab to see if the user is created, the external user is not even there, which is not normal.

The only solution I found is to add them as guests on the Azure Active Directory, and then send them the invite...

Hi @cARLOSPERALTA 

Yeah I would expect the user to be there.

Can you confirm that your Azure Active Directory Admin has not turned off allowing Guest users automatically? 

If that is not the case, maybe you have to wait up to 60mins for the guest user to be created and for the user to accept the link from Azure Active Directory before they will be registered?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors