Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamically Change a Custom Map in Shape Maps

I want to be able to change the Shape Map custom map that is displayed based on the consumer ID. Is it possible to dynamically change a Shape Map custom visual?

For example:

Presuming I have built my own custom topoJSON files for both US and Europe (not using maps built into Shape Maps):

I have customers in the US, and when they log in I need to show them a shape map of just the United States with correlated graphs (not exposing European information). I also have European customers and on their log in I only want to show them a map of Europe with the same correlated graphs (without exposing US information). I cannot manually upload the custom visual each time, and need to automate it on Power BI service. I cannot have the United States and European maps stored on the same topoJSON file due to privacy issues-- they must be separate. I also do not want to make separate reports for each consumer.

Could I maybe point the Shape Map to a URL with topoJSON data? or insert a new topoJSON into the Shape Map upon login each time?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You could configuire dynamical RLS for your dataset:

Create a user table in Power BI, which has columns like: user login account, user region,,ect.

Then create a relationship between user table and your main data table based on the location fields on both tables.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Dynamic Row Level Security with Power BI Made Simple

Dynamic Row Level Security 

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response Maggie.

I know that RLS can limit my dataset upon login and potentially be used to hide different areas of the map, but if I have data stored in the map itself, I want to be able to upload a different custom visual to ShapeMap based on UserID. 

Do you have anything that could help with that potentially? Maybe I misunderstood your response . . .

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors