Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pradeep467
Helper III
Helper III

Dynamic refresh of tiles on dashboard with change of month

Hi,

I have an issue with dynamic refresh of the tiles that I am pinning to dashboard. I have some measures that are pinned to a QTD level where my Qtr slicer is ordered by desc to show the latest qtr as the default and then I pinned the measures to dahsboard. So when Qtr changes from Q1 to Q2, my dashboard is still refrencing Q1 and not changing to Q2. Please suggest if there is any other way to get this working, currently I am managing it by manually updating the tiles.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi there

What happens when you pin something to the dashboard it pins it with the filter context at that time.

If you pin the Visual with Q1, it will always keep it as Q1. It cannot change dynamically.

That is why by changing the filter that is used to pin it with will be "Current Quarter" the underlying data will change, but the context in how the visual was pinned does not change from "Current Quarter", which will then dynamically change based on the underlying data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Yes please hopefully my blog post is clear enough and can assist you with getting building the measure.

Power BI Blog

Awesome, happy to help

Power BI Blog

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I would suggest doing is not to hardcode the Quarter, but to rather create a column which has a value called "Current Quarter" and every day when the data gets reloaded the dates would change, which in turn would then update which rows are "Current Quarter"

Here is one of my blog posts explaining how to do it with Current Month, you could just change it to be Current Quarter

https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/09/11/power-bi-default-slicer-selection/

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the inputs Gilbert, but during one of the converstaions we had with MS consultant, we were told that as long as my slicer value changes dynamically with adta refresh that is chnaginf from Q2 to Q1, the dependent tiles on dashboard will get updated automatically. So in my case as I have my slicer always shows the latest qtr in drop down as default value and the tiles are pinned based on this, I am surprised why it is not working the way its expected to, the issue with your solution is currently I have like 16 tiles on my dashboard which are using the current measures, now I ned to create 16 new measures just for the dashboard.

Hi there

What happens when you pin something to the dashboard it pins it with the filter context at that time.

If you pin the Visual with Q1, it will always keep it as Q1. It cannot change dynamically.

That is why by changing the filter that is used to pin it with will be "Current Quarter" the underlying data will change, but the context in how the visual was pinned does not change from "Current Quarter", which will then dynamically change based on the underlying data.

Power BI Blog

Thanks Gilbert, the solution worked and resolved my issue. I just posted another question and looking for some urgent help as we have a prod migration, can you pls advise on this if you have any suggestions.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Issue-with-relationship-between-tables-using-Security/m-p/7...

Awesome, happy to help

Power BI Blog

Thanks Gilbert, I will try building measures for that level and see how it comes out.

Yes please hopefully my blog post is clear enough and can assist you with getting building the measure.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors