Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

akasthan
Employee
Employee

Dynamic filtering in PowerBI report

Hi PowerBI community members,

I am looking for somekind of dynamic filtering functionality in PowerBI. Basically someway of maintain a list in PowerBI report, the list will contain data (lets say company name) which needs to be excluded/hidden in the report.
I can think of couple of ways of doing this:

1. Filter the data at the time of query. In this case for any updation in the list, pbix file need to be downloaded and edited.

2. Put the list of company names in some alternate source like sharepoint/data lake etc. and use it as a data source. If the list needs we can update it at the source and refresh the report. The report now will exclude the data with the company names from the list.

But is there a way to maintain the list in the report itself? Any visual which support such kind of thing?

If we want to update then instead of going at some other source, we can just update it in report itself.

I will explain it from example:

Lets say we have this data as a table in report.

CompanyUsersDepartment
Apple2000A
Mango100B
Test33C
Banana22D
Demo500E

It has 2 test companies, "Test" and "Demo". So we will need to create a list of excluding company so that the final report will only show

CompanyUsersDepartment
Apple2000A
Mango100B
Banana22D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @akasthan ,

I think you could try RLS.  Filters restrict data access at the row level. And you can you can define filters within roles. Two roles for "Test" and "Demo". The report in company "Test", Add users in company "Demo" as the guster user of company "Test". Afterwards add them to the role you have just set up. This way, the content they view will be the content that this role can view. Or you can try setting up dynamic rls. 

Refer:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

What Do You Need to Implement Dynamic Row-Level Security in Power BI? - RADACAD

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @akasthan ,

I think you could try RLS.  Filters restrict data access at the row level. And you can you can define filters within roles. Two roles for "Test" and "Demo". The report in company "Test", Add users in company "Demo" as the guster user of company "Test". Afterwards add them to the role you have just set up. This way, the content they view will be the content that this role can view. Or you can try setting up dynamic rls. 

Refer:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

What Do You Need to Implement Dynamic Row-Level Security in Power BI? - RADACAD

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors