Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kcheyney

Dynamic filtering TopN calculated table in Power BI desktop

Hi I have a table that has a Category and a Group and some numeric measure (called count for this example).  I want to be able to create a filter on category and use it to filter a calculated table that returns the Top N for the count field.  Here is my example table:

CategoryGroupCount
Ar70
Aw24
Az37
Au16
Ay83
Aq32
At81
Ax45
Av36
As94
Bm36
Bo45
Bl77
Bq28
Bn16
Bp29
Br86
Bj10
Bk19
Bs57
Cc46
Ci51
Cd80
Cb83
Cj77
Ch34
Ca65
Cg59
Ce65
Cf42

I want to create Filter on my report for Category and then have it cross filter a table or chart on the report that shows the Top N (in this example 5) Groups by Count. as shown in the two pictures below (filtered on A and then on C)  I am very new to DAX and haven't figured out how to do this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Top 5 filtered on category ATop 5 filtered on category ATop 5 filtered on category CTop 5 filtered on category C

7 REPLIES 7
seena
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic filtering TopN calculated table in Power BI desktop

seena
Frequent Visitor

me too. I have a similar request from my customer. Struggling to get the numbers correct
That will work if you put a visual filter to select the TOPN however, it does not work if you want the TOPN to be dynamic

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you figured out how to overcome this problem, seena? I have a similar problem. 

How to get top 10 customers in a Dashboard

To select TOPN customers .

use below method

Step1: Group the customers and put them in a new table -GroupBycompany

table=groupby('product','product'[company_name],"count",sumx(currentgroup(),product[invoice total])

[update the count column as DO NOT Summarize]

Step2: Create a rank measure in the original 'Product' table

Step3: rank=rankx(all('table'),'product'[total_invoice]

where (another measure in table product )   Total_invoice = sum('product'[invoice total]

Create a chart and select

Company name from 'Table'

Invoice Total from 'Product'

Put measure' rank' as filter and value = less than 11 (for Top 10 customers)

If you want to dynamically select TOP10 TOP20 or TOP30 customer then

Create a new table TOPN with column name TOPN and values (10,20,30)

Add a new column to it SelectedTopNNumber=MIN('TOPN'[TopN])

add another measure to original 'Product' table -- Check = if([rank] <= [SelectedTopNNumber] ,1,0)

Add the column TOPN as a slicer

Create a pie chart with the company name from the new table’ GroupBycompany’ and invoice from the original table Product

Add measure 'check' as a filter with value =1

Revenue from TOPN Customers = CALCULATE(sum('product'[Invoice Total]),filter('Table',[rank] <= 'TOPN'[SelectedTopNNumber]))

Name changed as required :

SelectedTopnNNumber = min('TOPN'[TopN])

Slicer = if([Rank]<=[SelectedTopnNNumber],1,0)

If ‘All’ to be included in Filter criteria:

Enter TopN as Text and read it as text in the measure

Slicer = if([SelectedTopNNumber]= "5",if([Rank]<=5,1,0),(if([SelectedTopNNumber]="10",if([Rank]<=10,1,0),if([SelectedTopNNumber]="20",if([Rank]<=20,1,0),if([SelectedTopNNumber]="All",if([rank]>=1,1,0),1)))))

Revenue From TopN Customers = CALCULATE(sum(invhdr[Invoice Total]),FILTER(GroupByCompany,if('TOPN'[SelectedTopnNNumber]="5",[Rank]<=5,if('TOPN'[SelectedTopnNNumber]="10",[rank]<=10,if('TOPN'[SelectedTopnNNumber]="20",[rank]<=20,if('TOPN'[SelectedTopnNNumber]="All",[rank]>=1,[Rank]<=1))))))

Enjoy dynamic selection of TOPN customers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for sharing, seena

EdEvetts
Helper II
Helper II

Hi kcheyney, did you work out how to do this? I am having a similar issue myself

thanks Ed

Nope, not yet

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors