Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dynamic Role Based Security Users show no data

I have Relationships set up like this

ADVDynamicTestRelationships.GIF

DimEmployee Contains Email addresses. I have made sure that there are 3 test email addresses

My Email Address (But Im admin in the app workspace anyway so I can see everything)

Two other users with Power BI Pro

I have gone to Modelling . Manage Roles and set up  [EmailAddress] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

Ive created a report with a few visuals

Published

Gone to the data set  > Security and added us all as members of the above role

Then I Click on the role and Test as role

If I test as me I can see everything as expected

If I test as the other two users I Just cant see any data at all. 

The documentation says at this point Each user should see their own data?

Also How does Role based security work with:

1. Users added to the app workspace as Members, Contributors or Admin)

2. Viewers who have access to the Power BI App?

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE

As tested, in (4)

even i add "cherry" as a member of the App workspace, he can't see any data.

As a conclusion,

The ones who aren't in the "User" table can't see any data when it is applies RLS.

Best Regrads

Maggie

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE

I have worked on your previous post.

Please check my test.

1.i add "ljj" and "dale" in my "User" table and set RLS as the previous post shown

2.png

i publish this report to an App worksapce where i'm the owner. i'm "ljj".

then i add "ljj" and "dale" in the "new role".

3.png

3.publish dataset and reports of this App worksapce as an App to "My organization".

note, "ljj" and "dale" are in the same organization.

(1) when my app workspace is "members can edit contents", i add "dale" as a member of my app workspace.

"dale" log in power bi service and install the app, open the RLS report in the app, he can see all data as "ljj" does.

(2)when my app workspace is "members can edit contents", "dale" isn't a member of my app workspace.

"dale" log in power bi service and install the app, open the RLS report in the app, he can see his own data.

(3)when my app workspace is "members can view contents", i add "dale" as a member of my app workspace.

"dale" log in power bi service and install the app, open the RLS report in the app, he can see his own data.

(4) "cherry" is in the same organization with "ljj" and "dale", he is not a member of my app worksapce, he isn't added in the "User" table, he isn't added in the "new role" page

"cherry" log in power bi service and install the app, open the RLS report in the app, he can't see any data.

4.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Still not working Im afraid and more confused than ever.....

1.i add "ljj" and "dale" in my "User" table and set RLS as the previous post shown

As before I have 2 users in DimEmployee

2.i publish this report to an App worksapce where i'm the owner. i'm "ljj".

then i add "ljj" and "dale" in the "new role".

As Before, My report gets published to the App workspace. I go to Dataset Security and ensure all the users are added                   here.

3.publish dataset and reports of this App worksapce as an App to "My organization".

note, "ljj" and "dale" are in the same organization.

This is where I differ to these instructions. My Permissions were set to Specific Individuals or Group because I didn’t want to           give the entire Organisation access.

I’ve changed for the time being just to do the test but I only want to Use Specific Individuals or Group

(1) when my app workspace is "members can edit contents", i add "dale" as a member of my app workspace.

"dale" log in power bi service and install the app, open the RLS report in the app, he can see all data as "ljj" does.

Here is where I’m really starting to get confused. Gone back to the App Workspace and gone to Access. I’ve added the                  other users to the App workspace as members (I’m already in as Admin)

But why do I need to add them in the App workspace  AND in the app?

Also at this point when I test against the user. Test as role the user cant see any data as before

(2)when my app workspace is "members can edit contents", "dale" isn't a member of my app workspace.

"dale" log in power bi service and install the app, open the RLS report in the app, he can see his own data.

I don’t understand the above

(3)when my app workspace is "members can view contents", i add "dale" as a member of my app workspace.

I don’t understand the above

(4) "cherry" is in the same organization with "ljj" and "dale", he is not a member of my app worksapce, he isn't added in the "User" table, he isn't added in the "new role" page

"cherry" log in power bi service and install the app, open the RLS report in the app, he can't see any data.

This makes sense.

So basically the above hasn’t changed anything. 

I have also been and asked my user to check for me. They donwloaded the app. But the data is restricted, even though they arein the table and have access to the app. If they go into the Workspace, go to Security against the dataset and test as user they just done see any data at all.

Im finding this very confusing. Surely if I test as user I should see what I need to see. Also Why should the users be added to the App and the App workspace? Basically, my users cant see any data

Hi @DebbieE

Please go to Dataset->select the "dataset name"->manage permission, chheck if the users are listed there.

In my test, when i share my App to all organization, it shows in the "permission" list of my dataset called "RLS" 

14.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @DebbieE

If the user just need to view the report, you don't need to add users as members of your App workspace.

Assume a scenario as below, i would list the correct steps.

scenario:

all users i share the App with are listed in my "User" table.

Steps:

1.Configure RLS correctly both in Power BI Desktop and Service.

2.publish the App to the specific group where your users are included.

Best Regards

Maggie

If the user just need to view the report, you don't need to add users as members of your App workspace. 

As I thought. I got confused at your guide but that makes sense

Assume a scenario as below, i would list the correct steps.

scenario: all users i share the App with are listed in my "User" table. (As Before)

Steps:

1.Configure RLS correctly both in Power BI Desktop and Service. (As before)

2.publish the App to the specific group where your users are included. (As before)

I have already done those steps and its just not working. Ive even tried a really basic test and it doesnt work. I think I may have hit a brick wall on this one

Hi @DebbieE

If you have a pro license, you could open a ticket here, then you will get a quickly response from MS.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

15.png

Sorry for not helping you effectively.

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors