Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lukmtb08
Helper III
Helper III

Dynamic RLS does not work in Service

Hi, 

I have set up dynamic RLS in Power BI Desktop and it works perfect in PBI Desktop. The RLS table has a M:N relationship and filters in both direction. Also all persons are member of the workspace and are part of the role within the dataset.

When I publish it to Power BI Service, it works only for one users, which I have added after publishing the report with rls. For all other Users it is not working. At first they all were "Members", I changed all to Viewers, but it does still not work after 30 minutes.

Do you have any ideas?  

Thank you in advance! 

🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lukmtb08 ,

The main reason RLS doesn't work is because the person viewing the report has edit access to the dataset. Double-check that your viewer is a member of the workspace or has edit permissions for the report.

vtangjiemsft_0-1669880782358.png
If possible, you can upload the report to another new workspace for testing.

Please note if the relationship requires the cross-filter direction to be both directions (two-way cross-filtering), ensure that the Apply Security Filter Bidirectionally option is enabled for RLS to work properly.
In addition, you can refer to this document to check the restrictions on RLS.

You can refer to the following documents that may be helpful to you:

RLS issue - on Power BI service (when Test as a Role) | Power BI Exchange (pbiusergroup.com)

Dynamic RLS In Power BI | Microsoft Gold Partner | Addend Analytics

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lukmtb08 ,

The main reason RLS doesn't work is because the person viewing the report has edit access to the dataset. Double-check that your viewer is a member of the workspace or has edit permissions for the report.

vtangjiemsft_0-1669880782358.png
If possible, you can upload the report to another new workspace for testing.

Please note if the relationship requires the cross-filter direction to be both directions (two-way cross-filtering), ensure that the Apply Security Filter Bidirectionally option is enabled for RLS to work properly.
In addition, you can refer to this document to check the restrictions on RLS.

You can refer to the following documents that may be helpful to you:

RLS issue - on Power BI service (when Test as a Role) | Power BI Exchange (pbiusergroup.com)

Dynamic RLS In Power BI | Microsoft Gold Partner | Addend Analytics

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @lukmtb08 

Have you added those users to the Roles in the Security section of your dataset?

And as you confirmed all the users are now "Viewers" of the app workspace?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, I have added them. 

Yes, they are viewer. 

Can viewers refresh s dataflow? 

Hi @lukmtb08 ,

The workspace role "Viewer" can refresh the dataflow.

You can refer to the following documents for more information about the refresh of the dataflow.

How to Use Dataflow to Make the Refresh of Power BI Solution FASTER! - RADACAD

Understanding and optimizing dataflows refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI – Scheduled Refresh for your Dataflow - European SharePoint, Office 365 & Azure Conference,...

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

I tried it, Viewer can not refresh dataflows, as they are not able to see dataflows and datasets at all. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors