Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ajmonster
Helper II
Helper II

Dynamic RLS Not Populating Visuals with Data

Hello

We have implemented Dynamic RLS with the use of Azure Groups (AG). We defined a few roles and assigned individual AGs to their proper role so that no AG is assigned to more than one role.

We are currently experiencing an issue where users are not seeing any data. It does not prompt the user to request access as if they do not have the report shared with them, and it does not tell the user that data is restricted as if they are forbidden by security.

We are in a P1 environment with Large Dataset enabled (not across the workspace but only this dataset.) as the dataset is nearing 1.2GB in local (.pbix) size.

Please let me know if I can provide anymore details to help troubleshoot this issue.

15 REPLIES 15
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ajmonster ,

It's quite wierd. Since I can't get in touch with your file, I suggest you create a support ticket. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Can you please share the DAX you are using for the role & a snippet of your model related to the security side?

The DAX is: [Email] = USERPRINCIPALNAME(). When testing roles locally, the security works as intended.

The model is as follows:

'SalesOrg1Security' *->-* 'SalesOrg1Dimension' 1->-* 'Facts'

'SalesOrg2Security' *->-* 'SalesOrg2Dimension' 1->-* 'Facts'

hi @ajmonster - Could you help understand why you have 2 security tables setup?

Just wanted to understand From a maintenance prospective it would be easier to maintain 1 security table. 

Could you share a screenshot of what the User sees while accessing the report? 

Happy to help!  

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

We use two security tables because they are filtering on two separate columns within the 'Facts' table. I cannot share a screenshot due to sensitivty of the data.

hi @ajmonster - Just to confirm you have tested the report using the view as using specific user's email which are having issues in the published report correct? 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Correct. I have tested the report using the view as the specific user's email which reported the issues.

Hi @ajmonster ,

If it can works well in the desktop, it will also work in the power bi service. Would you please check if you have assign the users to the proper role in security of dataset in powe bi service?

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

I believed the same as well but this is not the case. I am assigning users to the proper roles and security does not work as designed or intended.

Hi @ajmonster ,

Have you try to assign the specific users to the roles instead of assigning individual AGs?

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Yes I have and it still doesn't work.

I accidentally clicked the "Accept as solution" button here and I can't find a way to undo it.

Hi @ajmonster ,

First you need to confirm if the user have view permission on the dataset. And have you ever test it on the desktop?

Capture3.PNG

If you can't see any data means you configure it incorrectly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

I have confirmed everything through the desktop. Security is configured properly and my team has confirmed this through a variety of tests.

Could be that you have two separate tables filtering your fact table, but they may be acting as an AND and thus one canceling the other

How can that be the case if locally in the .pbix file the security roles as defined above work as intended?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors