Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Dashboards

I am curious if it is possible to create a Dynamic Dashboard in Power BI. I assume it is not but figured I would pose the question.

The reason I ask is we often have the requirement to show different views of the data to different groups (executives, managers, analysts). It would be ideal to have a dashboard in my App that reads the username of the individual accessing it and then presented them tiles based on their role. 

Has anyone done anything like this or come up with some workarounds to do something similar?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Realized I may have read your question wrong. The answer is still "yes, it can be done", but in a different way.

You will want to create multiple workspaces with each one dedicated to a different group of people and then assign access only to the people who you want to have access to it.

Example would be

Executive Dashboard

Manager Dashboard

Analyst Dashboard

3 different workspaces each with its own content and assigned personel to each one.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Realized I may have read your question wrong. The answer is still "yes, it can be done", but in a different way.

You will want to create multiple workspaces with each one dedicated to a different group of people and then assign access only to the people who you want to have access to it.

Example would be

Executive Dashboard

Manager Dashboard

Analyst Dashboard

3 different workspaces each with its own content and assigned personel to each one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is absolutely possible. You will need to have differentiation fields in your tables and then use "row level security".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

For example I have my sales teams logins be directly associated to the area they are in, IE if you work in Arizona, you can only see the data for Arizona.

So insert a column in the data that says "manager", "executive", etc. - Name it whatever, for this example lets use "Security Role"

You would then create a security role in the desktop application for "Executive" (this is under modeling > manage roles)

You then create a role IE - "Executive"

Select the table you want the role to filter and enter the DAX expression you want. so something like

[Security Role] = "Executive"

The system will then automatically drill down the data so only information that has 'Executive" in the "Security Role" column will be pulled but only that information.

Same thing for all other security roles.

Once this is done, you will assign people to the security roles in the service under the data sets

(more options > security > enter the email under the security role and save)

Might take some messing around, but you can get it figured out im sure.

Let me know if you are having trouble.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors