Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sadhnabatra
Frequent Visitor

Duplication of datasets when using content packs

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if datasets are replicated or just referenced from the source when we "Get Data" from content packs on Power BI Service.

This is important as we would like to avoid refresh of multiple datasets.

Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@sadhnabatra,

When getting dataset from a content pack, it refer to the original dataset. So we cannot use this dataset directly. If we need to edit ot create a report based on this dataset, we need to make a copy.

Besides, I have tested it on my local environment, I created a dataset and publish it as content pack to my colleague. My colleague use the copy dataset to create a report and pin it to a dashboard. Then I add new records to this dataset, new records appeared on my colleague's dasboard after refreshed his dashboard.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thanks for the response @v-caliao-msft!

So does it mean if my content pack is used by 5 five people and they make copies of it then 5 different datasets will be created. Each one of them will be refreshed based on the schedule of the original dataset?

In short will the data source ( in my case sql server 2016 database) be queried 5 times to refresh the datasets in Power BI service ?

I really apprecite your help. I just want some clarity on this issue.

Thanks

@sadhnabatra,

So does it mean if my content pack is used by 5 five people and they make copies of it then 5 different datasets will be created. Each one of them will be refreshed based on the schedule of the original dataset?

Yes

In short will the data source ( in my case sql server 2016 database) be queried 5 times to refresh the datasets in Power BI service ?
I don't think this query will queried 5 times. It will be queried only once and them stored the data on the dataset, and then each dataset will copy data from this dataset.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors