Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Duplicate report names when switching to shared dataset --> Impacts for report consumers?

We have a published "Report "A" that uses a dataset embedded in the PBIX file as data source (the common scenario).

Because the data in this dataset will be used for other reports as well, we want to change the data source to a shared dataset. The idea is to have a PBIX file with just the dataset and no visuals (let's call it "Master Dataset"). Other reports will visualize the data of that Master Dataset by using the data source "Power BI datasets".

When we create and publish a new "Report A", that uses the Master Dataset as source, we have 2 reports with the same name. The expected behavior was that the existing "Report A" would be replaced. As I read in other posts this seems to be an issue related to the shared dataset.

Is it safe to just delete the old report? The report consumers must not be aware that the PBIX file and the underlying dataset have changed. I assume that Power BI uses an internal Report ID and that links the report will be broken. Is there a best practice for this scenario?

Thanks a lot for your help!

JJ

4 REPLIES 4
fat_cat
Advocate II
Advocate II

It's December 2023, and I have exactly the same issue, same scenario.

There are two reports with the same name in my workplace - the old one with its own embedded dataset, and the new version - connected to the external shared dataset (used for multiple reports).

Why the new report did not replace the old one (as could be expected), and how to avoid duplicating reports in such a scenario??? Currently we have a problem as users often have bookmarks linked to the old version of the report, so if I delete this vesion, then their bookmarks will stop working.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @DoubleJ 

If there is a "Report A" in power bi service, you could create another same name report "Report A" in power bi service, because Power BI uses an internal Report ID as primary key. But you could not publish another same name report "Report A" into power bi service in one workspace, it will be replaced.

Is it safe to just delete the old report? this is safe, but the report will be lost.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

asdf

Hi @v-lili6-msft. Thanks for your help.

What you describe is what I would have expected: the existing report being replaced be the new one with the same name. But it is not the case. As you can see there are 2 reports named "TestReport". One of them uses the dataset inside the PBIX file, the other one the "SharedDataset" :

2020-06-09 11_38_55-Window.png
What I'm wondering is: What impacts do occur when I delete the "TestReport" using the internal dataset.

Would I have to completely rebuild the inital report, deleting all the datasources and replace them by the shared dataset? Would it replace the original report in the Power BI Service or create a new one again?

DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Does anybody have an advice?

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors