Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tommy_g
Helper V
Helper V

Drillthrough from dashboard to report with specific filter applied

I have a dashboard which provides itinerary summaries by continent. This is also a common scenario where you have a top-level buiness summary and several breakouts to provide context. In my example, each map is simply a filtered view to the same report. We want comparative context all in one place, hence multiple maps. When clicking through, there is no effect on the report filters, they are set to whatever was last applied. I've looked for ways to parameterize the linkage, and am pretty sure there is no such capability. We do NOT want to apply custom URL's, need to keep the user in the same app context. The pragmatic solution for now is providing a few button bookmarks and letting the user apply the filter when in the report. This is effective but difficult to explain why the app does not maintain context. Looking for ideas.

PBI Location Dashboard Links.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I know the only way to currently do it is to use the Filter in the URL for each dashboard item.

I do not know of any other way to do this.

It should work because your regions should not change over time?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tommy_g ,

I agree with @GilbertQ ,the best way is to create custom URLs,there's no other better ways.

Best Regards,
Kelly

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I know the only way to currently do it is to use the Filter in the URL for each dashboard item.

I do not know of any other way to do this.

It should work because your regions should not change over time?

Power BI Blog

Amazing, I actually learned something, namely a big DUUUHHHH**. I compared what happens when I click the "internal" link with the custom "external" link options for my report. They are the same. I'm guessing I never noticed because the GUIDs in the links were not easily memorable. The proposed solution works. And my concerns about losing context are irrelevant since the dashboard does not appear to be "connected" to the reports in any way, as can be observed using a bookmark "back" button, they only work within the report itself, never back to the parent dashboard.

** because was an ASP.NET developer in the prior decade, everything was glued together only with URL + query parameters.

Awesome, it is great learning something new!

As well as getting it to work!

Power BI Blog

A follow-up note on the linking issue. It looks like the common solution for a reporting hierarchy like this (top level + divisional breakouts) is to duplicate the base report tab and then apply page-level filters. The source dashboard would then have items pinned from their respective "clones" and standard linking would apply. Thinking as a developer, it makes more sense to have one report and apply filters selectively. However, most business analysts think in terms of Excel, where you would, indeed have multiple layers, each with their own worksheet tab. The consolidated tabs would then use native Excel functions for the rollups or aggregations.

Sometimes you need to step back from "elegant" to "kludge" when the client prefers to retain old habits. No problem, either solution works. The amount of dashboard pinning is the same for either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors