Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xxcorpxx
Advocate I
Advocate I

Drilling - Works now, but it needs to show you what your options are.

Would be better if we could see what drill options are available when hovering over the drill button.

Maybe even a dropdown list that is selectable.

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you clarify this a little more, are you wanting to "jump" hierarchical levels, is that what you are suggesting? So that if you have a hierarchy of:

Geography

Region

Local

You want to start at Geography and be able to jump straight to Local without going through Region?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The drill down really should work like a dropdown picklist so you can choose what you want to drill to.

It would be annoying to have to drill five times to get to the info i wanted to look at each time.  Also for new users, they have to remember what they can drill down to and that might keep them from even using the option.

Just a simple UI tweak really.  It's like using a slicer but not seeing what's in the slicer and only being able to click next next next next...

I suppose @xxcorpxx means that if you Drill down from Geography -> Netherlands to   Regions in Netherlands -> then to Local 

i.e  Netherlands -> Amsterdam -> Lelylaan , in the tooltip or nowhere you cannot find out what filters ( from where you drill down ), and while from Geography is easy for others is not.  Imagine Country - Recruiter - Department - Job Title...Specially when there is overlap between levels ( 1 recruiter can recruit in several countries etc...)

Which brings the problem of cross filtering as @SqlJason blogged which is really confusing to users..

http://www.sqljason.com/2015/09/my-thoughts-on-cross-filtering-in-power.html

Imagime you drill down from my example above from Country to a Recruiter..but this Recruiter also exists in other Country.

What happens is that you see a Recruiter name with i.e. 100 applications in i.e. Netherlands but when you select the bar chart it filters only on recruiter name and the other charts shows different numbers since the first level drill down filter ( Country ) don't pass in the other charts..

Imagine Sales in Countries and products with other charts showing trends..Confusing..

Konstantinos Ioannou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors