Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Drill-through report

How do I click on a data item in a visual and be taken to an entirely different dashboard customized to that data item (aka:  drill-through report).  I saw it in a demo but have found no references online how to do this...

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Dashboards are your highest level, and can contain tiles from any number of reports.

Dashboards only exist in the Service.

You can pin any visual, from any number of reports, to the same dashboard.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-pin-a-tile-to-a-dashboard-from-a-report/

The user will click a "Tile" on the Dashboard, and be taken to a report page.

When you upload a file from the Desktop to the Service, everything exists on the Service (Azure back end). Nothing relates to your on premise desktop file at that point. There are a bunch of different scenerio's for using different back end sources, but we'll keep it simple...

The support documentation is really good, use the navigation on the left hand side of my link to explore these topics further.

Hope that answers your questions/points you in the right direction.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Drill 

I found a live demo **bleep** webinar for this hope it will work for you. Here is the webinar description- Live Demo on Advanced powerbi reports using Project Server Data on 25 Oct 2016, 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET. You can now more fully leverage all your project management investments by using Microsoft Power BI for advanced reporting. for more visit here:  http://web.advaiya.com/live-demo-advanced-power-bi-reports-project-server-data/?Social=123

Hi Friends,

I have a dashboard with differentes KPIs and we are using differentes customs visuals, but we need know how to use drilldown from each kpi to each report and from this report we need to do a return to dashboard, if we using the option pin only it works a one report.
Could help us if Power BI can to work with this funcionability.

Thanks,

Hi Friends,

I have a dashboard with differentes KPIs and we are using differentes customs visuals, but we need know how to use drilldown from each kpi to each report and from this report we need to do a return to dashboard, if we using the option pin only it works a one report.

Thanks,

Hi Friends,

Thanks,

@Anonymous There are only 2 drill through type actions at the moment.

1) Clicking a Tile on a dashboard allows you to drill down to a report page which can show the same or completely different visuals. Thus, allowing you to "drill down"

2) There is a drill-down feature that you can enable on several visuals, but it will only drill down to the next level in your heirarchy showing you the data in the same type of visual.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eno1978,

Thank you for the reply - how do you do #1 (drill to a report page to show the same or completely different visuals)?  How do I create this in power bi desktop (and then publish to power bi in the cloud for the users)?  I see the arrows on the visuals but those arrows only allow me to do your #2...

Thank you in advance

@Anonymous I now understand the confusion.

OK, Power BI has two parts - The Desktop, and the Service.

They have different capabilities.

The Desktop - You can create models and build reports

The Service - You can build reports, and Share

In order to use the "Sharing" capabilities of Power BI you need to pull your PBIX file into the Service, or hit the "Publish" from your Power BI Desktop. When you have done this, you can go to the Service (app.powerbi.com) and pin visuals from the report that you built to a Dashboard. The Dashboard is shared with end users. So when they click on a tile you pinned to the Dashboard, they will be taken to the report page where the visual was pinned from, and be able to see all the other pages of the report you built.

hi

so i'm having some issues with the drillthrough filter

first after putting on the drill through on power bi desktop and publishing, it doesn't work, you still need to put on the drill through on the power bi service. 

now after putting on the drill through filter on the power bi service, everytime you leave the report page and come back to it, the filter goes off. and you have to keep putting it on every single time which is quite annoying.

is there a way around this?

second when you pin to dashboard ,the drill through doesn't work. meaning it only works on the report page

it only works kinda well on the desktop but what's the point on the desktop when i need to show it to someone after publishing.

it's quite annoying, is there a way work around this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eno1978,

Thank you for the prompt reply - one last question (I am very new to power bi) - so to summarize, you are saying that I would create a number of different reports/dashboards in Desktop (ex.  Desktop #1, Desktop #2, etc) and then pin desired visuals from each of these into a power bi report via Service (so for example, that published power bi report would have two visuals from the Desktop #1 report, one visual from the Desktop #2 report, etc).  If the user (via power bi) clicked on a data point (ex.  a location on a map) on the Desktop #1 visual in the published power bi report, then he/she would be taken to the actual Desktop #1 report with its own unique set of visuals and data, correct?  I assume the filter would be passed with it (ex.  in this example, the actual Desktop #1 report the user was taken to would be filtered on the location that was clicked on by the user in the published power bi dashboard map visual), correct? 

If the user clicked on the Desktop #2 visual in the published power bi dashboard, then he/she would be taken to the Desktop #2 report with its own set of unique visuals, etc.

Is the above correct?

Thank you again...

@Anonymous Dashboards are your highest level, and can contain tiles from any number of reports.

Dashboards only exist in the Service.

You can pin any visual, from any number of reports, to the same dashboard.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-pin-a-tile-to-a-dashboard-from-a-report/

The user will click a "Tile" on the Dashboard, and be taken to a report page.

When you upload a file from the Desktop to the Service, everything exists on the Service (Azure back end). Nothing relates to your on premise desktop file at that point. There are a bunch of different scenerio's for using different back end sources, but we'll keep it simple...

The support documentation is really good, use the navigation on the left hand side of my link to explore these topics further.

Hope that answers your questions/points you in the right direction.

@Seth_C_Bauer

at least is there any way in service that if we pin a visual to a dashboard from the first page of a report, when i click on the visual in the dashboard, can it take me to the second page of the same report...??Smiley Sad

@taumirza You can get a visual to navigate to any page of your report.

Say you currently have visual A on report page 1, but you want it to navigate to report page 2. You can do this in 2 different ways.

1) Edit the tile on the dashboard and set a custom navigation path. click the '...' and the pencil icon, and set the URL to the report page 2. (there is a current bug in this and it won't open the page in another tab if you set it to do so)

2) You can take Visual A and recreate it on page 2 of the report. Pin it from page 2. Then delete it from page 2. This will have the desired effect, and the tile will continue to be updated with data.

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

do we have any alternative to drill through in Power Bi Desktop App.

Clicking on a visual or any button which will take us to another page in the same report.

Lets say i have Visual(or Button) A on page1, when i click on it, it should take me to the page2.

Anything, any script or codes we can write for it ?

Thanks in advance

@taumirza Not to my knowledge, if there was I think there would a bit more noise about work-arounds as that is a popular request.

Hey @Seth_C_Bauer 

Thank You.

I have the same question, like we do in SSRS where we can create a subreport or an action on a single bar of graph, then we will be directed to an seperate report where the filter is continued.

Can we do the same here, I somehow managed to pin a dasboard from other dashboard, but now I need to click on a particluar bar and go to the other repoort or dashboard that has detail information about that bar.

Drill Through Action - Default

Users can pin tiles from Reports (built in PBI Desktop or Service) to Dashboards. when users click on a tile on the dashboard, they will be redirected to the Report the tile belongs to.

Exception : If you pin the whole Report to a Dashboard using "Pin Live Page" option, then the drill through is disabled (may be because the whole report is live on the dashboard and there is no point in drilling through to a Report).

Problem: How ever the problem with that approach is that the users will not be able to use the Drill DOWN functionality if any in the dashboard mode. That if if one of the tile is a Bar chart with drilldown functionality, that is disabled in the Dashboard Mode (I wish it was'nt that way!!) please correct me if i am wrong!

Alternative Option : We can click on the ellipsis (...) on the top right hand side of the dashboard to go to the report. and all the functionality(including Drill Downs) will be available from the report.

Drill Through Action - Configurable 

I guess what ShanAK and Cudjh1 are referring to is the capability of configuring Drill Through action from Tiles to a report of their choice (not just the default report the tile was pinned from ). for example if a Dashboard has a tile pinned from Report A, users should be able to configure a drill through to another report (say report B) if needed. 

or for example add an image tile to a new Dashboard and configure it to go to a particular Report / Dashboard when a user clicks on that image tile! (That would be awesome! we can have one dashbord with links to all the fav reports / Dashboards )

I beleive That is NOT possible as of today. 

Alternative Option : Add an image to each report you want to drill through to and pin those images to a central dashboard !

I am new to Power BI as well so please correct me if i am wrong! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors