Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

deepikagaonkar
Frequent Visitor

Drill down from power BI reports to the raw data

I have gone through report drill through and the drill down functionality. Both of them requires the dataset to be created in the Power BI.

Is it possible to show the raw data from the database ( using which the dataset is created for visuals ) directly, without loading it in power BI dataset ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HendrixSpirit
Helper I
Helper I

Dear Deepikagaokar,

The trick i use to solve this issue, is i create a "Raw Data export" table in each report. and leave the visualization with a very small size (only the title)

So if the user wants to see the raw data of some specific visualization he has to enter in focus mode.

If the wants to export the data to excel, he just have to click export data of that table.

Same trick can be done for other kind of tables (not raw data, but parcial, etc).

Below screenshots of "my trick". (raw data table in the example are 37 columns)

Raw data export, a small visualization hidden that opens a table with 37 columnsRaw data export, a small visualization hidden that opens a table with 37 columns

if you want to see the table you enter to focus mode. If you want to export the table, you just click export data.if you want to see the table you enter to focus mode. If you want to export the table, you just click export data.In above picture notice that the table only has 36.070 lines (36.07 K indicated in the card). Because I've clicked  the month may. Then the table will only show the records (of sales in this case of report) of month may.

To export data you click on the "three dots", right upper corner of the visualization and click on export data (Pbi Service allows to export up to 150.000 lines, Pbi Desktop 30.000 lines) To see the data, you enter focus mode, or click on see data here.To export data you click on the "three dots", right upper corner of the visualization and click on export data (Pbi Service allows to export up to 150.000 lines, Pbi Desktop 30.000 lines) To see the data, you enter focus mode, or click on see data here.
I don't know why is this limitation of having block the exportation to 30.000 on desktop...  Or not to allow to copy a table direct to excel.... This has to be improved by Pbi Developer Team!! All the time we go to our final users they ask for both things.

This is the only way I've managed to solve this critical issue (not able to copy tables direct to excel).

If i enter into focus mode (or click in see data) I can see the table that only shows the 36.000 lines, not the 361.400 + lines that the report have.

In focus mode, you can see or export the tableIn focus mode, you can see or export the table

Picture of whole Power BI Report  for size reference (confidential data marked with black)

raw_data_export_example.jpg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HendrixSpirit
Helper I
Helper I

Dear Deepikagaokar,

The trick i use to solve this issue, is i create a "Raw Data export" table in each report. and leave the visualization with a very small size (only the title)

So if the user wants to see the raw data of some specific visualization he has to enter in focus mode.

If the wants to export the data to excel, he just have to click export data of that table.

Same trick can be done for other kind of tables (not raw data, but parcial, etc).

Below screenshots of "my trick". (raw data table in the example are 37 columns)

Raw data export, a small visualization hidden that opens a table with 37 columnsRaw data export, a small visualization hidden that opens a table with 37 columns

if you want to see the table you enter to focus mode. If you want to export the table, you just click export data.if you want to see the table you enter to focus mode. If you want to export the table, you just click export data.In above picture notice that the table only has 36.070 lines (36.07 K indicated in the card). Because I've clicked  the month may. Then the table will only show the records (of sales in this case of report) of month may.

To export data you click on the "three dots", right upper corner of the visualization and click on export data (Pbi Service allows to export up to 150.000 lines, Pbi Desktop 30.000 lines) To see the data, you enter focus mode, or click on see data here.To export data you click on the "three dots", right upper corner of the visualization and click on export data (Pbi Service allows to export up to 150.000 lines, Pbi Desktop 30.000 lines) To see the data, you enter focus mode, or click on see data here.
I don't know why is this limitation of having block the exportation to 30.000 on desktop...  Or not to allow to copy a table direct to excel.... This has to be improved by Pbi Developer Team!! All the time we go to our final users they ask for both things.

This is the only way I've managed to solve this critical issue (not able to copy tables direct to excel).

If i enter into focus mode (or click in see data) I can see the table that only shows the 36.000 lines, not the 361.400 + lines that the report have.

In focus mode, you can see or export the tableIn focus mode, you can see or export the table

Picture of whole Power BI Report  for size reference (confidential data marked with black)

raw_data_export_example.jpg

@deepikagaonkar No. You will still need to create a query or connection to a view, or something to show the end user what you want them to see. There is no mechanism to just point at a table and expose all of it without any work.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors